P Trap Question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by JAW, Sep 21, 2012.

1. JAW

JAW New Member

Hello, can you tell me if the configuration of the P-trap in my new sink is acceptable? It's working fine, though I had to perform some odd geometry with the 90 degree turns to get it all to line up...and I'm not certain whether what I've done here is legal or good practice (I'm certain it's not best practice.)

Thank you very much.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2012
  2. JAW

JAW New Member

Drain-1.JPG

Let's see if it works this time....
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

You were doing good until you got to the wall and put those 3 elbows together. And the elbow out of the disposer was not needed, either.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2012
  4. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Yea, you can't do that. The outlet of the P trap needs to go straight into the adapter where the pipe comes out of the wall. You should be able to shorten up the tail stock coming straight down into the P trap
  5. JAW

JAW New Member

Thanks. My problem is if I shorten the tail stock the trap wont line up with the drain pipe coming out of the wall, unless I use one of those flexie accordion pipes, which I am loathe to do. Am I missing something?

Also, is the elbow coming it of the disposal a problem? Im not even certain why I did that, other than I had to get a longer one than the unit came with.
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You can fold the p-trap so it almost points backwards...you've got plenty of room. I'd also see if you can rotate the disposer 90-degrees so it goes straight to the other sink. As said, you can't have the flow try to go up after the trap outlet...it will flow water since it's lower than the sink, but will clog up with crud.
  7. kreemoweet

kreemoweet Member

Looks to me like he/she will have to use a center outlet continuous waste. Wall outlet seems to be too far from left sink. Might even have
    to lower the wall outlet. Terrible thing, I know, but it happens.
  8. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Trap is too deep...I am surprised if you don't drain slowly
  9. JAW

JAW New Member

Thanks. I will re-work the whole entire thing sometime next week and post a picture. Appreciate all the feedback.