P-Trap Question

Users who are viewing this thread

BillM

Reaction score
Hello everyone......I have 2 questions.....I'm replacing my bathroom vanity with a "freestanding" vanity......sort of furniture looking? has 4 legs that it rests on, and vanity top will sit on top of unit....drawers underneath.....

My question #1: I have PVC piping from the wall (1-1/2" pipe).......local HD advised me to go with 1-1/4" P-Trap, and just use coupling adapter to get there.......Is there any benefit to using 1-1/4" vs. 1-1/2" for vanity sink? Advice that I received was that the configuration that HD had available would allow for this setup to be dismantled, if necessary, vs. cemented/permanent for the 1-1/2" setup that was available.....I suppose each will work just fine, but wondering on the pro/con of each?

Question #2: Does the freestanding vanity, itself, need to be secured to the stud(s), to prevent movement as a precaution?

Thanks for any advice out there...

-Bill

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
What they told you is true, and you'll see no benefit in going to 1.5" on a vanity. As to the stud question, by all means secure it. Only takes a few screws.

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
I'm not sure but I don't believe you could use 1 1/4 trap. I think minimum is 1 1/2" Wait for a pro to answer.

Anyway, they do make 1 1/2" traps that you can dismantle or with a screw on the bottom so you can clean it out if it gets clogged. Don't ever use draino or liquid cleaners. No good for pipes.

Bigger pipe size is better because it can drain faster and won't get clogged as easily. Always use bigger pipe where possible. I wouldn't put a 1 1/4" trap.

Everything gets secured one way or another. Definitely secure it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can use either the 1-1/4" trap or the 1-1/2"

Most plumbers would use a 1-1/2" with a reducing slip joint washer on the top for the tail piece.
P-traps with slip joint washers can be removed anytime.

Sounds like normal HD salesperson, useless information talk.
There are those of us that do plumbing, then there are the HD isle walker and talkers.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

A 1 1/4" chrome trap will look better than a 1 1/2" one with a reducer at the tailpiece. But no metal trap, which is what you should use, will "glue" to the plastic. You need a trap adapter glued to the plastic and a metal cover to conceal it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks