P-trap position for new bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

kacheln

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in process of installing a new alcove tub and have torn the old one out that was elevated off the bathroom floor 1.5" by 2x4's. I would like to drop the new tub back down to the plywood and have a few questions. (For perspective, I am a relative newb to plumbing but have done some PVC welding and can sweat copper pipe and have installed shower valves, etc.). All images are from the old tub plumbing.

1) Is that P-trap, (which I believe to be from original 1986 build), acceptable?
2) I would like to cut the plumbing at the joint in the photo and use a ram-bit to ream the joint out and accept a new riser. That will put my new riser off center to the center line of the tub (see top view photo of tub). This will force my drain and the overflow to come in at an angle, is that acceptable plumbing practice?

Thanks,
Scott

current plumbing.jpg
bathtub joint.jpg
bathtub riser.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would open up more of the plywood and see if there is a way to move the P-Trap.
You can angle over and use fittings, but it's nicer if you just start new.

kacheln

Reaction score
teejoint.jpg
I would open up more of the plywood and see if there is a way to move the P-Trap.
You can angle over and use fittings, but it's nicer if you just start new.
Terry, thanks.
I would prefer to replace as well but I will have to go pretty deep in there, it is all joints up to the vent as you can see in the picture here, and I would have to cut pretty far back into the plywood to get to all that, and then it will be a splice into the vent and the drain run to get a new t-joint n there to rotate so I can reposition the p-trap.......seems like major surgery. View attachment 34891

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks