P trap orientation

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by geof, Sep 21, 2004.

1. geof

geof New Member

I installed a 2", ABS P trap in a drain line and now have doubts about its orientation. The trap has a sweeping entrance and a 90 degree entrance. Which one should be the outlet ? How much difference does it make if I got it wrong ?
    Thank you.
  2. e-plumber

e-plumber DIY Senior Member

Trap Installation

[​IMG]

The trap should be installed like the one pictured here, the trap arm the longer piece. The trap should also be installed directly under the fixture its' serving.
    Where did you install the drain trap, post a picture?
  3. LonnythePlumber

LonnythePlumber Plumber, Contractor, Attorney

Both OK

The incoming should be the long sweep and the 90 is the outlet as exampled from manufacturers literature. However it does not seem to make a difference as some have been installing the sweep on the outlet side.
  4. geof

geof New Member

cursive u

Thanks for the picture. In the picture, the trap is a symmetric, u shape. The trap I have is like a cursive u where the u starts with a vertical bar and ends with a sweep. Both sockets of the trap are vertical but the tube leading to one socket is vertical and the tube leading to the other socket is at an angle (sweeping).
  5. geof

geof New Member

OK, thanks. I was trying to figure out if it made a difference for siphoning from the trap or something.