p-trap or modified s-trap question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by flazoom, Mar 1, 2007.

1. flazoom

flazoom New Member

I am attempting my first bathroom renovation (its a 1/2 bath) and am in a bit of a bind with installing the new vanity and sink. The new vanity is a raised model with a shelf that is 14 inches from the floor. Of course the existing p-trap is at a height of 13 inches from the floor now that I installed new tile. The pvc pipe coming out of the wall does not give me any room to install a new 'higher' p-trap unless I put a second bend that would essentially create an s-trap that will enter the wall at a 90 degree bend instead of dropping straight down. Is this an acceptable solution? My other option is to cut the wall and raise up the drain pipe to install a standard p-trap configuration. 'cutting the vanity shelf is not an option in this case. Thanks for any advise.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

Making an "S" trap is not an option so it appears raising the opening in the wall is your only solution.
  3. flazoom

flazoom New Member

Thank you hj,
    Since the problem is only about an inch clearance issue, is it ok to install the new p-trap closer to the sink drain (2-3 inches higher than the original) and have a slightly steeper angle drain pipe from the trap itself to the waste pipe in the wall? It looks like the original trap is 2 inch pvc. I could replace with a 1 1/2 inch trap which if raised a bit might give me clearance. Would this approach cause a problem?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

trap

Since the problem is only about an inch clearance issue, is it ok to install the new p-trap closer to the sink drain (2-3 inches higher than the original) and have a slightly steeper angle drain pipe from the trap itself to the waste pipe in the wall?

I am confused by the above statement, regarding a inch clearance and 2-3 inches higher. I do not know how you would be able to angle the trap outlet downward and still make the connections at either end, unless you used a flexible corrugated device which is also not permitted, even though they make and sell them.