P-trap location

Users who are viewing this thread

skatona

Reaction score
I need to run a kitchen sink drain line roughly 3 feet through a few cabinets to get to the through-wall connection (due to layout of framing). Are there any "rules" regarding where the p-trap needs to be? Can I put it all the way over near the wall connection, or does it need to be under the sink?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Please be careful to have slope ( 1/4" per foot) on that arm over from the trap through the cabinets to the wall. Yours is not an uncommon situation, due to things like kitchen windows. If that arm is allowed to be flat, so close to the sink, it will quickly be a gunk-catcher. Get in the habit of running the water at lease a minute or two AFTER the disposal runs, if you use one of those.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Running traps are not to code, however what was decribed wouldn't be a running trap. It wouldn't be much different from an ada sink. That being said I agree with putting the trap under the sink if possible.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Who say's they are not to code?

1002.3 Prohibited traps. The following types of traps are prohibited:
1. Traps that depend on moving parts to maintain the seal.
2. Bell traps.
3. Crown-vented traps.
4. Traps not integral with a fixture and that depend on interior
partitions for the seal, except those traps constructed
of an approved material that is resistant to corrosion
anddegradation.
5. "S" traps.
6. Drum traps.
Exception: Drum traps used as solids interceptors and drum
traps serving chemical waste systems shall not be prohibited.

I don't see anything there do you?

Gsalet

George the Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.PlumbingPro.com
I believe the answer is in the tailpiece definition. a tailpiece connecting to a sink or similar fixture will be as short as possible but not longer than 2 feet (upc 910.5)
personally I like the P-Trap directly under the garbage disposal outlet

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Nope tailpiece length has nothing to do with trap location. IE handicap lavs with offset drains. Truthfully, IPC and UPC say nothing about running traps and in fact sometimes trapping a floor drain can require a running trap. Not used commonly and will probably raise eyebrows from uninformed inspectors but unless your code says no......you can

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Running Trap

Wally Hays: I also looked it up, it looks like its not in there anymore:( but i agree that the inspector is going to have problems passing it :confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The longer the drain line before the trap, the more possibility of the potentially nasty bio buildup on the pipe will create nasty smells, especially on a kitchen sink where there will likely be grease and food particles that get washed down it. A disposer would add to that bio buildup, especially if the water is not run long enough after use.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
without seeing your situation, I won't put myself in the yea or nay camp.

skatona if you buy the remote pop up for kitchen sink drains, it comes with a tight elbow under the sink strainer so it sends your sink drain tailpiece horizontally instead of going down like we usually see it. This is a commercially sold and available product. Yes it is true that this horizontal pipe might get gunk in it, or that it will, and secondly that since it's prior to the P trap any smell the gunk would generate will come into your kitchen. BUT this is not the deal breaker kind of information that you were asking for. From that tight elbow, there is a slip joint to the tubular which goes over to your drain pipe (copper or PVC or whatever), and you have another slip joint at that connection. (((Anyway, that is what I have))). Any time I want to unscrew these slip joints I can do so, easily. I can look inside the tubular, and clean it out. I can look into the copper and clean it too. Easily for a few inches, not for three feet.

So, yes skatona you CAN "run your kitchen sink drain line through a few cabinets to get to the through-wall connection (due to layout of framing)." And the "rules" regarding where the p-trap needs to be will allow it, so that is a yes again. HOWEVER there are good reasons to encourage you to put the P trap closer to the sink drain than roughly 3 feet away. One is the reason described in this post already. Another one is that a P trap closer to the drain makes it easier to snake.

Where is your dishwasher connection? If it can be put close to the sink drain, then this will wash out the horizontal drain prior to the P trap, a lot.

The height from the floor is almost the same, of the pipe prior to the P trap and downstream of the P trap. So, there may be no NEED to put the P trap that far away. As a compromise, I'll suggest you put the P trap closer than 18" from the sink. The portion of pipe that follows the P trap is "Trap Arm" in the DWV code. It can be 2" diameter.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
EVERY grease interceptor is a "running trap", and they ARE permitted. As far as a sink using a running trap, even if it is "permitted" there is no reason to DO it unless there are overwhelming reasons for it, which is seldom the case. The ""remote pop-ups" I have used and seen, all have the mechanism in the vertical drop under the sink, NOT in any offset.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks