P-trap install. Stubs out too low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Keith Coish

Reaction score
I have a very tight space to install a trap. Can someone tell me is this configuration would meet code?

IMG_2274.JPG

View attachment 37835

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuff

Reaction score
Not in the USA. You have created an S trap that can siphon and let sewer gas in. You need to pick a different vanity.

JRC3

Reaction score
^
That's what I've done. If you measure just right and use a hole-saw to cut each end to make an elongated hole, it doesn't look too bad either.

Keith Coish

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It doesn't show in the picture but unfortunately there is a drawer that slides under the Trap so cutting the bottom is not an option. This is why I have the 90 straight out of the wall. If I were to add a piece of pipe to the top 180 bend to extend would that work or would that still be considered a s trap?

Similar to this but it would have to rotate the trap to center it after.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
IMG_5.jpg
Thanks for the reply. It doesn't show in the picture but unfortunately there is a drawer that slides under the Trap so cutting the bottom is not an option
Which would you prefer?
  1. Add an AAV after the P-trap and before the piping turns back down, as illustrated in marked-up snip of your photo.
  2. Open the wall and raise the sanitary tee, or add a sanitary tee and keep the existing one as a cleanout.
  3. Cut clearance in the drawer.
  4. Have the drawer depth shortened to make the drawer not extend as far toward the wall.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Without venting, the trap siphons, and sewer gas enter the home. There is a reason we vent, and a reason we don't wiggle the fittings to miss a drawer.
If you choose to raise the trap, you must add the AAV to it.

Keith Coish

Reaction score
Hows this? Note to self... Never get one of these wall hung vanities again

p-trap-too-low-aav.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2276.JPG
    IMG_2276.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 7,432

Keith Coish

Reaction score
Took some maneuvering but yes. Hopefully this will be OK

image.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks