P-trap in bathroom vanity

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Mikes97gts, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Mikes97gts

Mikes97gts New Member

The drain in my bathroom is pretty low. I bought a vanity and the drain is almost touching the bottom of the vanity. How would I go about putting in a P-trap? There is a drawer at the bottom of the vanity that has space behind it. Could I do a street 90 from the wall, put a P-trap behind the drawer, then run another 90 towards my sink drain?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

There's a limit on how many changes in angle you can have, and adding a couple of 90's won't cut it!

Plus, to do what you want, you'll probably have to cut into the wall and raise the point where it enters there - the trap arm can't go down much before the vent, or it doesn't work. A picture may help.
  3. Mikes97gts

Mikes97gts New Member

2011-03-18 12.32.53.jpg I have almost no room to go down.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

To raise the point where it goes into the wall, you'll have to tear into the wall and raise the fitting. Extensions can be had in different lengths as well as the tailpieces. You don't exceed the maximum length allowed there, but by having it that low, are intruding into more of the cabinet space than needed.
  5. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

It really depends on how involved you want the job to be. It the trap does not clear the drawer, the tee in the wall should be raised. 18" off the floor is a common place for the tee to be, but it can be higher or lower.
  6. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

In order to fix this properly you should pull the vanity and adjust the height of the santee in the wall, it will look 10x more professional, and actually be serviceable.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The easiest "fix" would be to cut an oval in the floor of the cabinet for the trap to hang into. You might also have to cut a notch into the back of the drawer to slide past it, but that depends on how low the trap hangs and how high the drawer back is.