P-Trap Help

Users who are viewing this thread

crutchfield

Reaction score
Hello, all!

We're building a new home and putting in a whirlpool tub ourselves. The contractor will not do anything with it after a certain point, so we've got to make sure everything is right. Our contractor has, however, set the p-trap. The p-trap is 14 1/2 inches from the wall, it needs to be 16 &3/8. Is it okay to use angle joints to align it with the drain or should we try to cut the ABS behind the p-trap and install a new one? If we use the angle joints will it increase risk of slow draining or clogging?

Thanks in advance for any help!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

If depends on which type of drain fitting you use on the tub. If it is one with schedule 40 pipe and fittings and a "push/pull" stopper, or cable operated, you can offset it. If it uses tubular size pipe, or has a lift stopper assembly inside the overflow riser, you will have to move the trap. This assumes the trap is too high in the floor to offset between the trap and the tee, and you have to place the tee at the trap and then extend the drain and offset the overflow riser. However, if you can offset in the riser between the trap and the tee, using 45's, (not 90's), then that would also be acceptable.

Last edited:

Sulconst2

Reaction score
i usually install the tub with the drain connected then install the trap. as long as you have access. either from the wall behind drain, underneath, or open floor next to tub.

you can try to install trap exactly. then set tub with drain installed. but you still need access to make connection.

or you could pay the contractor the vig he wants and let him put his name on the install. this way you would get the standard one year warranty for labor.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

I assumed it was a concrete slab house. If it is over a basement or crawl space the moving the trap may be the easiest thing, especially after the tub is installed.

crutchfield

Reaction score
Thanks -- it's coming along!

Offsetting the drain from the tee and then using 45s to the overflow looks like it's going to work just fine. It's a new construction on a concrete slab, so I have full access through the framing right now. We did ask the sub-contracted plumber if he wanted to do it since he would be out there anyway, but I think his contract with our builder keeps him from wanting to touch it at all. Thanks again, your info has been invaluable. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks