P trap height too low?

Users who are viewing this thread

joek

Reaction score
I'm doing some remodeling in my bathroom and we set the height of the 1.5" PVC fitting that enters the wall(the part that the p trap would connect to) at 13" AFF. After reading some more on the internet it looks like standard height is 16" AFF, so I'm wondering if I am going to run into issues and if so what type of issues with a P trap that is 3-4" lower then the standard height. Will the height the water has to drop from the sink evacuate the P trap, or are there any other issues you can think of?

PVC is already glued so I would have to cut it with a hacksaw and replace a few fittings.

Thanks,
Joe

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
13" will work too.
Depending on your counter height, it may be something like 18 or 20.

It takes more distance than that before you need to worry.

Last edited:

joek

Reaction score
Thanks,
Can you clarify what the 18 or 20 inches you were talking about is referring to? Is that the drop from the top of the sink to the trap?

As long as 13" above the finished floor will work, I guess I'll leave it and test once the sinks in place before the sheetrock goes up on the other side of the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Trap height is not determined by finished floor. It is determined by the fixture outlet (drain). With that being said, the maximum distance between the fixture outlet and the trap weir is 24" so it sounds like you will be in good shape.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
If you roughed out at 13" above the finished floor you should be ok like everyone else is telling you. Standard vanity cabinets have a toe kick dimension of 4", which basically makes it a 6" dimension from the floor to the top surface of the inner cabinet base shelf. So you are left with roughly 7" to play with, and since a p-trap generally drops about 5", you will be cutting it close, but you can still make it work.

They way I rough in lav/kitchen drains and supplies, the drain center ends up being 18.25" off of the rough floor.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

18.25" above the floor? Does that mean 18.325" is an error and too high. Most of us would be satisfied if it came within + or - one or two of the longer marks on the ruler.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
heh, wiseass.

Like I said, 18&1/4 is what my drain center rough-in works out to be the way I rough in my supplies and drain for a sink...so I don't meet the 16" above the finished floor measurement that the poster found on the internet either.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Generally, as stated above, low roughed in wastes can be attached with tailpiece extensions. Problems arise when you have to notch cabinet floors or shelves to fit the trap. On some pedestal lavs the porcelain on the pedestal is not hollowed out all the way to the floor. With a waste line below a certain point with such a ped the trap cannot be hooked up and requires a saw with a diamond blade to remove the offending porcelain or wall surgery to raise the stub out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks