P-trap distance from drain

Users who are viewing this thread

DuneSlider

Reaction score
I am over from the Johnbridge forum. I am moving a tub drain for a shower. I have to move it two feet horizontal. I can't just put a 90 in then two feet of pipe and then 90 back up to the drain. Guessing that isn't any good.

So, I have dug down about two feet into pea gravel and haven't found the trap yet. How deep are these things? I haven't had any this deep before.

Maybe I just need to call a plumber this time.

Any help would be great.

Bryan

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The trap should be directly under the drain, otherwise, you'll have whatever distance where hair, oil, soap scum can fester before the pipe is sealed off by the trap. Plus, trying to clean it out would be difficult. There is a maximum depth they can be (maybe something like 2'?), but no minimum.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

There is a theoretic limit on the depth, but as a practical matter it is wherever the plumber put it. Keep digging. And do not jump the line up to a higher level and then run to the new trap location.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks