P trap and tailpiece too close!

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by jdbangels, Feb 9, 2010.

1. jdbangels

jdbangels New Member

I replaced a bathroom vanity sink. All went well until I tried to attach the p trap. The tailpiece for the new sink is about 1" too close. I have looked at the PVC flexible traps but that is still too close. Is there a way to do this without cutting anything?
    Thank you for your help!
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Stay away from flexible traps, they clog. Tail pieces normally have to be trimmed to fit.
  3. jdbangels

jdbangels New Member

The height seems ok. It's that the tailpiece seems offcenter. It is about 1" closer to the wall than the old sink. Will shortening it make the p trap fit between it and the pipe coming out of the wall?
  4. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

No it will not but if you have a tubular ext. P trap bring it out past the tail piece and connect it their

it doe's not have to always go straight back to the wall
  5. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

You could move the vanity a little to the right or left to allow the trap to line up.