p trap above drain pipe #2

Users who are viewing this thread

sharkie

Reaction score
How would an experienced plumber change out the piece that is coming out of the wall on this drain pipe. Is it possible to unscrew elbow piece that is glued to the pipe that goes into the drywall? Will we have to cut it with a sawzall somehow? And if so after cutting it what king of fitting would allow me to put a ptrap through the rectangular hole that I am going to cut in the shelf? Thanks everyone in advance!

photo (18).jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you know that what you have is an illegal S trap? The shelf will prevent a proper P trap. Suggest you read up on P trap vs S trap.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The correct way to fix this is to open up the wall, and move the fitting there up so that it can be at the proper elevation for the trap arm. The trap arm MUST come off the trap straight AND be vented before it can turn down.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Yep, what you have done there is going to lead to sewer gas and drain flies coming in through the drain. As others have said, the trap must be lowered or the fitting in the wall raised. You cannot use bends in the arm of the trap because it will prevent the vent from working properly.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think OP is planning to do something like this, but with a big clearance hole in the shelf and no foam.

plumbing-trap-cabinet-probl.jpg

He is asking how to get a pipe to come out horizontally to meet his lowered P-trap.

vanity_007.jpg

is another picture, but the clearance in this case will be a big hole in a shelf.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Mills

Reaction score
You'd have to cut that fitting off as close to the wall as possible, then use a inside pipe cutter to cut the pipe as close to the san tee as possible, then use a ram bit to cut the pipe stub out of the san tee, then glue in a new section of PVC, then a trap adapter, and you only get one shot to get it right, and a ram bit aint cheap, and if it doesn't work, you are going to have to cut the wall open and replace the san tee, which is what I would do. Then cut your hole in the shelf, but do a neater job that what is shown in Reach4's pics!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks