Ozone purification for well water

Users who are viewing this thread

dizong

Reaction score
We had an ozone purification system installed about a month ago for iron-related bacteria and sulfur odor.
This is the system:
https://www.masterwater.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/MasterFusion-Brochure.pdf

Prior to this, we had our well shock chlorinated about a year and a half ago with good results until the same issue came back. Then we decided to install this system (professionally done, not a DIY).

Our results with the ozone system have been okay, not perfect. The sulfur odor is reduced but not gone from a couple faucets. I've checked the faucets themselves and they seem clean. The water does seem to taste better overall.

A few questions:
1) While some of the benefits have been immediate, can we expect even more improvement (such as complete resolution of IRB odor) with more time? Or is this the best it gets?
2) Do we need to repeat shock chlorination? Based on what I could gather, it seems that the ozone treats the inflowing water. Does it not address any bacterial growth that may be stubborn and persistent down stream (e.g., near the faucets)?
3) Can our results be dependent on well yield? Ours is only 2 gpm.
4) Anything else to look out for to improve results?

Thanks for any information!

Reach4

Reaction score
https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my well and plumbing sanitizing write-up. Note the pH adjustment in addition to the chlorine.

Also note if he H2S is more in the hot water. It is harder to kill off the SRB in the WH because of the dilution factor. Many use a powered anode to not contribute metal ions to SRB. I think the Ceranode unit is better protection than the powered anodes with the stubby electrode.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Those ozone type of systems "may" work in very low level IRB issues. The general idea is that the ozone sanitizes the bed during the cleaning cycle. The ozone itself is depleted within minutes of the system going back online. You should do a complete plumbing sanitization.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks