Ozone Generator

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Despite the claims, 16 mg per hour ozone is bubkus. It may be a little more that should be present if humans are in the area. But for truly treating mold, smoke odor, etc. you need something in the neighbor hood of 3 to 6 mg per hour PER SQUARE FOOT of area, and at that level, humans must NOT be in the area until after treating for a few hours, then opening to ventilation. Check this website: www.queenaire.com for a lot of good info on ozone odor control. Their machines output in the range of 300 to 1800 mg per hour.

North Jersey

Reaction score
Despite the claims, 16 mg per hour ozone is bubkus. It may be a little more that should be present if humans are in the area. But for truly treating mold, smoke odor, etc. you need something in the neighbor hood of 3 to 6 mg per hour PER SQUARE FOOT of area, and at that level, humans must NOT be in the area until after treating for a few hours, then opening to ventilation. Check this website: www.queenaire.com for a lot of good info on ozone odor control. Their machines output in the range of 300 to 1800 mg per hour.

Yeah, the one in question is actually 16,000 mg/hour. I guess that should be sufficient for my purposes. I'll check out the queenaire site. I understand you need to keep the house vacant for at least an hour after you shut off the machine. Have you had any first hand success with ozone?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I have dealt with hotels who want to convert former smoking rooms to non-smoking. Success is variable. This is a very difficult task. They usually replace the drapes and carpet, and paint the ceiling. It is still a tough go, and the solution is usually a combination of ozone and old spice!

North Jersey

Reaction score
Do you think it's worth a go? I have all these fantasies of using the machine to deoderize shoes, cars, . . . my kids . . . :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Think about what ozone really is: a highly reactive oxygen molecule. Oxygen in this form can act like a bleach...it attaches itself to other molecules and changes their chemical formulation. Unreacting molecules eventually degrade to more common O2 that we need for respiration. In high concentrations, it can tear some molecules apart, so what's left just isn't the same. Have enough of it, and you can make a very visible change, if the stuff is susceptable to reacting with the ozone. Not everything is.

North Jersey

Reaction score
Think about what ozone really is: a highly reactive oxygen molecule. Oxygen in this form can act like a bleach...it attaches itself to other molecules and changes their chemical formulation. Unreacting molecules eventually degrade to more common O2 that we need for respiration. In high concentrations, it can tear some molecules apart, so what's left just isn't the same. Have enough of it, and you can make a very visible change, if the stuff is susceptable to reacting with the ozone. Not everything is.

The whole concept is glorious. I need something that will permeate cracks and crevices. I'll be going over the basement with bleach before I run the machine. I'll post my results with the $400 machine after I'm done with the project.

Agu

Reaction score
Had a van seat in the garage that a neighborhood tomcat decided to mark as his territory. As anyone who's smelled it can attest, male cat urine is nasty smelling stuff. My friend at Servicemaster said he could tent the bench seat and use an ozonizer to chemically neutralize the smell. It appeared to work, we reinstalled the bench seat in the van and three weeks later when we sold the van there was still no odor.

We packed up and left town a few days later so I can't vouch for it's effectiveness after about four weeks ;).

North Jersey

Reaction score
Had a van seat in the garage that a neighborhood tomcat decided to mark as his territory. As anyone who's smelled it can attest, male cat urine is nasty smelling stuff. My friend at Servicemaster said he could tent the bench seat and use an ozonizer to chemically neutralize the smell. It appeared to work, we reinstalled the bench seat in the van and three weeks later when we sold the van there was still no odor.

We packed up and left town a few days later so I can't vouch for it's effectiveness after about four weeks ;).

Wow! That's impressive. I am very familiar with the tomcat's musk.

This is what I ended up buying:
http://www.maxblasterusa.com/index.html

I'm going to use it in addition to my EBAC BD150 industrial dehumidifierhttp://www.ebacusa.com/bd150.htm to make my basement habitable again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks