Ox-Box, F1807, ProPex, and Sharkbite Crimper and Rings

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by RPN, May 24, 2013.

1. RPN

RPN New Member

I am getting close to doing this re-plumbing job that has been on my list for a couple of years now.

A few rolls of AquaPex and a bunch of fittings should be here today. I have the Milwaukee ProPex tool on order.

Let's talk washing machine boxes. I have seen the Sioux Chief Ox-Box recommended. It is available in a few termination styles - one of them being F1807 Pex.

Soooo, some questions:

1. I am assuming that the ProPex rings will not provide anywhere near enough pressure on an F18097 fitting (0.492" ProPex expansion fitting size vs 0.406" F1807 size). correct?

2. I have a Sharkbite crimper and copper rings that I got to terminate some pex of unknown origin. Sharkbite (Cash Acme) claims that the tool and rings meet F1807 standards. Do you know of any issues using AquaPex (Pex-A) with ordinary copper crimp rings?

3. Is it worth it to get the Ox-Box with the built in mini-arrestors?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I tend to order the OX Box without the PEX adapters and solder on my own.
    I "always" install the box with the mini-resters. A lot less wear an tear on the hoses when the washer bangs on and off.
  3. RPN

RPN New Member

Thank you so much for the quick reply. Should I use the normal ProPex copper stubs for the solder connection?

ETA: Or, just use a ProPex female sweat and cut a stub from some type L. That would be $2.75 each vs around $10 for ProPex stubs.
    Last edited: May 24, 2013
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You can do either the male or the female.
    I normally just sweat on the males. You do have to be a bit careful when soldereing though. Too much and you can't get the plastic locking nut past it.