Owens Corning shower enclosure S-36

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by drb321, Jan 21, 2009.

1. drb321

drb321 New Member

Hi ..... it's time to replace my shower enclosure after 26 years. Having a heck of time getting any info. even from the old manufacturer.

It's a generic white shower enclosure (no bathtub) manufacturer and model number is

Owens Corning Model S-36.

There's an ANSI number as well 124.2 if that means anything. People at OC said they sold that part of the business years ago, and I thought the people at BASCO could help but I struck out there as well.

Thanks for your help .........
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It's unlikely that you'd be able to find an exact replacement, so some careful measurements should be all you need. The enclosure is probably attached to the stud-walls, so figure it is nominally 1/2" bigger than the dimensions you can measure (i.e., it probably extends 1/2" beneath the drywall that is usually used in the room around it). Some have a flange that is covered over by the drywall, and you'll have to remove some of that to tear out the old one.

The drain on an older shower might be 1-1/2", and pretty much all of the new ones will be 2". Talk to your inspector if this is the case, as he might allow you to use a 1-1/2" drain, but also might require you to update it to 2". The shower valve on a really old shower is unlikely to have anti-scald technology, so you'll want to upgrade your valve at this time as well as maybe the shower head (2.5gmp max). finding one that gives a good feel is tougher at this flow rate, but possible.