Oversized Shower Drain Needed?

Users who are viewing this thread

David_NC

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to finish up remodeling one of my bathrooms... after starting 7 years ago! The shower is the only thing remaining. It's a large shower and will have two controls and two heads. I read somewhere a while back that I would need a larger drain (3") for a shower with multiple heads / controls. I bought a standard 2" drain a few years back that has the clamp ring (for lack of a better description) for the vinyl liner that goes under the tile. I haven't been able to find one of these in 3 inches. I'm sure I could use two 2" drains, but this seems like it might be a lot more trouble in terms of the pitch of the floor, lining up the drains for the tiles, etc. What do those who do this for a living recommend? As some background, the 3" drain for that bathroom is directly below the shower area and already has a 3" Y from the toilet that used to be installed here. The shower is fed by 3/4" supplies that reduce down to 1/2" at each control. Thanks for any input / suggestions.

David

David_NC

Reaction score
if it's only 2 heads a 2" will work better

Did you mean 3"? I'm already using 2".

There is a possiblilty that I may end up with a standard hand-held shower on one control and three body heads on the other control. I know they make diverter valves for this purpose, but they use 3/4" lines and are much more expensive than two decent controls. Would the 2" drain still be sufficient? I'm also planning on some model of Delta... is there a better brand to use? I've always enjoyed Delta faucets and controls. Almost everywhere I've lived has had Delta. The two I've repaired (over 20+ years) have been easy. Plus, parts are readily available for them. Thanks!

David

Rombo

Reaction score
i meant 2'' you should still be ok with 3 body spray's. you don't want to over size a drain it is as bad as undersizing a drain and can clog easier

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the inlet pipes are nominally either 1/2 or 3/4". Your drain is 2"...quite a difference. Now if you had a fire hose coming in, that would be a different story!

David_NC

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the inlet pipes are nominally either 1/2 or 3/4". Your drain is 2"...quite a difference. Now if you had a fire hose coming in, that would be a different story!

Very true, but the supply lines are under pressure (obviously!). ;) I thought a 2" drain would be fine - a washing machine drains a lot of water very quickly through a 2" line and seems to do just fine. Thanks for the feedback guys.

David

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks