overhead waher drain

Users who are viewing this thread

dambruom

Reaction score
I have recently bought a front loader (Bosch) washer and dryer set. The current washer and dryer (both 25+ years old) are next to the drain and vent line in the basement but that does not allow for much space. I would like to locate on an inside wall of the basement but that would mean that I would have to run the drain overhead.
We already have drain piping coming from a sink upstairs that we can mimic (not enough room for a trap or to tie in). The washer states that we can pump to 8FT of head. With the washer on a pedestal, I only have to go an additioanl 3 FT to the ceiling from the washer connection, 6-6.5 FT to the bottom of the washer. The drain line would run across the ceiling joists, turn 90 degrees and slope down a wall at approx. 45 degrees to an existing washer p-trap and vent connection to tie into.
Would run 2" PCV for the drain. With all of this am I missing anything? Any concerns about the long run (approx 16-20 FT total)? Should I install a check valve in the vetical line?
Looking for some experience to guide or issues to avoid!
Thanks!

Attachments

• washer.jpg
    washer.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 498

Artie

Reaction score
The first question would be: can the Bosch pump handle a 6' head? (3' of the washer plus your 3')

Edit: Nevermind. Answered my own question. Apparently, 5' is the limit.

Last edited:

dambruom

Reaction score
the Bosch manual says 8' of head total. My basement is only 8' and we have this up on the pedestal (15") - assuming the pump is at the base 6.5-7' total rise

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

One concern would be the amount of water in the pipe. If the washer does not have a "check valve" in the pump, and washers typically do not need them then when the pump stops ALL of that water will be siphoned back into the washer, plus some from the trap if the drain is directly connected to it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks