Overhead sewer system tie in.

Users who are viewing this thread

michael medeski

Reaction score
hi everyone.

i'm new here and can't seem to find an answer to my problem on the internet so i thought i would ask.

i'm replacing the old cast iron sewer lines under my basement floor with a pvc overhead system. i have no pluming in the basement. my washing machine will pump 96in vertical. i am planning on hooking into the clean-out stack, (located right outside my foundation), though the wall above my current line. my main concerns are what to do with my old line and if this is an o.k. way to run a new line. i'd rather not have to jackhammer the floor to replace everything.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Sorry, got busy at work.

Possible issues:
1. It's too high for your washer to dishcharge and you never fully drain the tub.
2. By tapping into a line @ 96" you won't have enough of a riser to fully contain the dishcharge (if it gets up there) resulting in laundry waste spilling out in your basement.
3. Anything you install will not be code compliant, at most resulting in fixing or removing when you sell your house, at the very least you will look like a hack to anyone who has a clue. On the other hand you may be a hero to a hack looking to just make something work, no matter how bad or wrong it is.
4. If you do make it work you could burn out or shorten the life of the pump in your washing machine.

That's just off the top of my head.

There are pump systems to overcome your problem. They involve a basin with a sump pump. I can't think of the mfr. right now, maybe one of the pro's can drop a hint.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Overhead

You DO NOT have to connect the sewer 96" high, so I assume you were just using that dimension as an example of the maximum. There should not be any connections to the old pipe once you disconnect it from the main sewer, so either do nothing, or cap the line where you disconnect it.

michael medeski

Reaction score
You DO NOT have to connect the sewer 96" high, so I assume you were just using that dimension as an example of the maximum. There should not be any connections to the old pipe once you disconnect it from the main sewer, so either do nothing, or cap the line where you disconnect it.

correct. sorry, i should have been more specific. i'm running my new main line about 4ft above the floor, anchored to the wall with metal strut and pipe clamps.(not really overhead i guess) my washing machine stand pipe will be 30in above that.(per instructions) i hope that's not pushing it too much. i do have a sump pit, but would rather not use it for the washer if i don't have to.

i was not planning on digging down to the bottom of the clean-out to cap the old line. i was just going to fill in the old floor drains, and holes where the old cast pipe was removed, with some hydraulic cement at three different spots. there will be about a 3-4ft. space of old line, at the bottom of the clean-out, to the first hole i fill in.

Anything you install will not be code compliant, at most resulting in fixing or removing when you sell your house, at the very least you will look like a hack to anyone who has a clue. On the other hand you may be a hero to a hack looking to just make something work, no matter how bad or wrong it is.

LOL! thanks for the concern, but code is the least of my worries right now. i'm striving more for function than looks. it's an unfinished basement, but still, nothing looks worse than crap backing up on your basement floor. that can't be up to code. plus, it's getting expensive having to pay for a cleanout 2 times a month. it's either buy an auger, or do this, and i don't like to play in crap more than i have to.:) every time it' backs up the clean-out is empty, so i know it's something under the floor causing the problem.

i agree it will look like a hack job, but i'm hoping it will be a trouble free, hack job after i'm done. although, it never seems to work like that with plumbing.;) that's why i thought i would run it by some experts first before i start cutting holes in my foundation. doing it this way seems waaaaay easier and cheaper than tearing up my floor and basement stairs to run new pipe there. i just hope it will work o.k.

hero? come on.:rolleyes: there's got to be someone out there that has done something like this before.

thanks for taking the time to help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sewer

There in NOTHING against code by installing an overhead sewer. That is the only way we used to connect to the sewer back in the 50's and 60's. But we connected the floor drains to the sump pump's pit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks