Overhead sewer question

Users who are viewing this thread

DS18661

Reaction score
Hi, We experienced another storm/sewer back up in the basement recently. Everyone quotes two options: outside flood control backwater valve w/pump or an overhead sewer. I really want piece of mind and the ability to keep some expensive items in the basement. Everything I have read tells me an overhead is a more reliable solution. The challenge is one of my two stacks would be difficult to route to the front of the house to gravity drain into the new overhead line. Someone proposed sealing the back stack by running a new cast iron pipe under the basement floor direct to the back stack. (this stack supports a bath and kitchen). The basement appliances & drains would take the conventional overhead sewer set up - drain to a pump to push up and out of the house. Thoughts on this plan? If we route solid cast iron from the outside at a Y in the sewer line to the back of the house and up a sealed stack, this sounds like a heavy duty stand pipe. Good idea?? I appreciate all advice, I am really stuck on this one. I hate the idea of valves outside plugging up and not sealing during our annual "100 year floods".

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As long as the "back pipe" does not have any below grade drain openings in it, then it is still an "overhead" sewer, regardless of whether it goes through the building or around it.

DS18661

Reaction score
As long as the "back pipe" does not have any below grade drain openings in it, then it is still an "overhead" sewer, regardless of whether it goes through the building or around it.

Thanks. I hope my explanation was clear. Outside the sewer line will have a Y. one route will go up high to serve the overhead system in the basement, the other route will be cast iron under the foundation in the basement to the back stack. When the city sewer backs up, the water will still come to the house in the below ground cast iron pipe and theoretically rise up the back stack. The first opening will be a first floor bath (above street level). Is this a good idea vs. a backflow valve outside?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
NEVER trust a backwater valve anywhere. Usually all they do is slow down the rate of backflooding, because of debris caught in the seat. The water will "rise" in both connections to the level it is at the street, but that will not affect how either end works.

DS18661

Reaction score
NEVER trust a backwater valve anywhere. Usually all they do is slow down the rate of backflooding, because of debris caught in the seat. The water will "rise" in both connections to the level it is at the street, but that will not affect how either end works.

Thanks again, HJ. Do you agree with the layout my plumber has recommended? I assume the new cast iron pipe and stack will handle the pressure of a city sewer back up? Have to love the Chicago area. How is beautiful Arizona?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks