Overhead Light-Fan-Heat in bath

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Well...at least from what Im hearing from multiple sources is that it IS doable for a reasonable price.

Lets face it-most problems will go away if you throw enough money at the project.

If I can get it done for 1-200 I'd be happy.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Need Switch

I'm getting my Broan 655 installed next week. As I said, the existing 3-way switch needs to be replaced. If anyone has a brand/model to recommend available on the net or big box please let me know. I'd like to pay 75 bucks max if at all possible.

Current switch has a vertical configuration switch and plate.
Like this:

|=|
|=|
|=|

galacon

Master Electrician & Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.goalelectrical.com
Mike50-

The Broan rep should be whipped- Any electrical device is subject to the NEC, and as such, needs to be installed by an expert. Have it done right, my man...

As far as the switch, Broan's triple fan/heat/lite switch is exactly what you need, but HD may need to order it. It fits up in a single gang box, and you can get it with a timer function for the heater.

G

Last edited:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
galacon said:
Mike50-

The Broan rep should be whipped- Any electrical device is subject to the NEC, and as such, needs to be installed by an expert. Have it done right, my man...

As far as the switch, Broan's triple fan/heat/lite switch is exactly what you need, but HD may need to order it. It fits up in a single gang box, and you can get it with a timer function for the heater.

G

Hey thanks--I'm going to call and locate one. Yea..I was surprised because the rep just said it was no big deal. I then said "but it's a potential fire hazard...right?"

She said: "Dont worry--it has an auto shutoff." :eek:

Mike

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Followup on this for anyone installing one of these fans:

I spoke again with another Broan/Nutone Tech support for clarification:

Said Handy man is OK to do an installation like this IF (and Only IF) it is replacing an existing 3-way unit which has existing wiring. Obviously it is UL rated.
Safest is have an electrician do it.

Galacon I agree with you-don't shoot me Im just the messenger.

And BTW the good news is they carry the 3 way switch for under 30 bucks.
This tech said he has a 655 in his home and likes it a lot. It WILL take the chill off to be sure.

Mike

Last edited:

TPA

Reaction score
Just thought I'd add my comments (even if a bit late).. Panasonic all the way. It's all I've spec'd out for the past few years and they've never failed to impress. They truly are THAT quiet. Heat's a bit louder, but nowhere near as loud as the Nutone/Broan fans. The other reason I spec out Panasonic is that they're rated for continuous duty, so if you're using them as a fart/steam fan, they'll pretty much outlast the house.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
My Broan Nutone 655 was finally installed today. I've heard about and looked at all the Panasonics but for my needs this 70 dollar unit was a very good value.

I NEED the 3 function with heat. From a design viewpoint I did not see a panasonic that made me want to spend the extra money.
The 655 also has vent slots all around the unit-360 degrees FWIW and I like that.

I also looked at the fancy high end units at a showroom. Lets be honest here-how much money are you willing to spend on a fart fan. 400-500?
Ain't gonna happen-no way.

Maybe I'm weird but fan noise doesn't bother me in the least.
In fact it reminds me that fresh air is on the way! :D

The actual installation was freaking nightmare for reasons unrelated to this unit. (you don't want to know)

Mike

Last edited:

TPA

Reaction score
Are there any other high-end brands other than Panasonic? The bathroom showrooms I've seen usually aren't as high-end as they think they are, exception being their prices, which are well-over what they should be.

Yeah, you're not going to get a Panasonic fan for $70, let alone heat/light/fan... More like ~3-4 times that much for the Panny version... in which case, you got a very good deal. I was thinking of the Broan QT series when I was talking about price... totally forgot about their regular product lines. 4.0 sones 'though -- that's pretty loud. I also have sensitive hearing, so what may sound like a fan to someone else hits me like a jackhammer.

Some people like the noise, some people don't. I was surprised to have one of my guests run off to the bathroom, turned on the sink in a poor attempt to camouflage a fart. What a waste of water! Now I understand why Toto has the fake water running sound option on some of their Japanese-model toilets. I'll now be adding a sound-insulating door as part of my remodel project.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
TPA said:
Are there any other high-end brands other than Panasonic? The bathroom showrooms I've seen usually aren't as high-end as they think they are, exception being their prices, which are well-over what they should be.

Yeah, you're not going to get a Panasonic fan for $70, let alone heat/light/fan... More like ~3-4 times that much for the Panny version... in which case, you got a very good deal. I was thinking of the Broan QT series when I was talking about price... totally forgot about their regular product lines. 4.0 sones 'though -- that's pretty loud. I also have sensitive hearing, so what may sound like a fan to someone else hits me like a jackhammer.

Some people like the noise, some people don't. I was surprised to have one of my guests run off to the bathroom, turned on the sink in a poor attempt to camouflage a fart. What a waste of water! Now I understand why Toto has the fake water running sound option on some of their Japanese-model toilets. I'll now be adding a sound-insulating door as part of my remodel project.

Well, to be perfectly honest about this unit--If you have really sensitive hearing issues--this is probably not the unit for you. Good call on your part TPA.

I can't find the high end ones on the net now...however I did discover some different designs I'd never seen here:
http://www.noblewinds.com/hunter-bath-fans.html

These just don't look like fans at all---and a few of them have some art-deco
metal scroll work. nice...

If I didn't need the heat feature I would grab one of these.

Ahh. the Noble Fart...is still not accepted in society is it?
Oh yea.. the Japanese with their Clean & Odor fetish.
They came out with a tablet- marketed to women--it allegedly removed the poo smell from your poo.

I think they are all getting a little crazy on that island..
:D

Anyways here is my report regarding the heat feature on the Broan Nutone 655.
Prior to showering and preheating my not all that big bathroom the Temp was 63
After 5 minutes of preheat-68
Then finally after showering it was 79.
It's really the greenhouse humidity combined with the radiant heat that makes the temp skyrocket by 10 degrees in 10 minutes.
mission accomplished.

Mike

Last edited:

Chris8796

Reaction score
Mike,

I'm glad its working out for you. I'm happy with my 655. While I would normally prefer a quieter fan, a noiser one has its benefits. If you have kids, they'll leave the fan on and walk away. Then your fan is sucking out the air you just paid to heat or cool for hours or until I come and turn it off. Its also good for kids who never turn the fan on. When you hear the shower and no fan you can remind them. I'll get quieter fans once the kids move out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks