Overflow gasket problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I found water pouring from the downstairs bathroom exhaust fan grille straight down into the lav last night when my father took a bath in the bathroom above.

I subsequently unscrewed the drain overflow plate (lever one) and sure enough the overflow gasket is hard and full of cracks and messy. I bought a replacement and pull the old one, well i tore it out in a bunch of pieces.

Unfortunately I cant get a new one back in there. Theres a bit of a gap on the top side but zero space on the sides and bottom. I pushed the metal drain pipe back quite hard but i couldnt get enough space to push the gasket in. If i had a thinner gasket i might be able to do it, but doubt it. I dont have easy access to the other side.

Can i clean it up good and use silicone cualk in there to seal the tub/overflow gap?

Is there a trick i dont know about?
Luckily i take mostly showers lol.

Last edited:

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a few different thicknesses of neapream (spelling) in my truck for stuff like that.

Silicone might work but that comes down to the surface on the back on the tub. If there is no room at the bottom you will not be able to get a seal with the silicone.

It might be time to cut out a bit of the wall on the back side (you should have a door of some sourt).

For the next bath just get out the duct tape and a Ziploc and seal it up. You can do it and join in on the redneck games.

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Universal gasket my a**. I wonder if the big blue/organge have the thin ones?

Sorry no acess panel behind.
I think silicone would work in this situation if i preped it good. The good think is if it leaks agiain it goes through the fan grille and not a compound joint in the ceiling greenboard.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks