Overflow drain--new bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

DonJa

Reaction score
I'm plumbing a new overflow and tub drain.I know I'll need plumbers putty below the rim of the threaded drain plug and have the drain plug washer that goes below the tub.
For the overflow, I have the beveled gasket that goes behind the plug (fits well w/ the PVC overflow "elbow"), and a metal 2-hole tub face plate. My Question is what if anything should go between the metal face plate and the acrylic of the tub, and should the beveled gasket have a coating of silicone or something else between it and the back of tub? Seems like I need to get the 2 screws fairly tight, but don't want to be screwing the metal right into the acrylic.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You don't need anything between the faceplate and the tub. The screws need to be snug enough to put a squeeze on the gasket, and to ensure that the faceplate does not get moved around in service, which would scratch the tub.

DonJa

Reaction score
OK. ANd the beveled gasket--does it need some silicone or other sealing caulk where it faces up against the tub? i.e. around the actual hole in the acrylic. Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
NO! If you put any lubricant on it, there is a good chance it will squeeze out of the gap rather than become compressed between the tub and overlow fitting. Just make sure the beveled gasket is rotated to a position where it is touching the tub and fitting AT ALL points before tightening the screws.

DonJa

Reaction score
Thanks. So at the overflow, nothing but the gasket and the pressure of the screws on the faceplate.
Would there be anything wrong with inverting the faceplate??
So there will be an extra 1.5" of soaking depth as water begins to overflow at midpoint instead of bottom.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
it may not seal well enough to do that! The overflow cap in the tub often is just to cover the hole and provide a means to hold the seal on the back in place...in other words, it is likely to leak under the cap regardless of the orientation...the seal on the back makes sure it goes to the drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks