Over the counter sink installation

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Optiker, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Optiker

Optiker New Member

I'm about ready to install an over the counter acrylic kitchen sink. It is a replacement, and the hole is the correct size.

I have two questions.

1. No clips were supplied with the sink, and there are no molded in points to hook a clip to that I can see. Do over-the-counter sinks need clips, and if so, how are they attached?

2. If no clips, I assume that the sink is held in place by the sealant under the lip - correct?

Thanks!

Optiker
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

2 for 2! Acrylic and other sinks, other that stainless or steel enamel, are rigid and heavy enough that they stay put by themselves. A bead of caulk UNDER the rim seals it , and also acts as an adhesive. You can wipe away any caulk which oozes out, leaving a very small and neat looking bead. Use wet cloth or finger for acrylic based caulks, and denatured alcohol for silicone .
  3. Optiker

Optiker New Member

Thanks Jimbo!

Optiker