Over 35,000 gallons in less then two months?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by RAM1961, Jul 18, 2014.

1. RAM1961

RAM1961 New Member

I had meters installed in late May on a shared well in a subdivision. Shared with one other household. I knew his water usage was way higher than mine, but I had no idea he's used over 35K gallons in 6-7 weeks. Yesterday, the well pump was hissing from drawing air so bad - he's going to end up burning up the pump and expect me to pay 50% or repairs per the shared well agreement. How much water have we used in this time period? Less then 7000 gallons - most of which is underground sprinkler system the past three weeks.

Anybody ever pursue this from a legal aspect? He bought his place six months before we bought ours next door - I had no idea that he was going to build a "permaculture" farm and run underground piping everywhere and run water all the time, and now add cattle in as well. All in a subdivision - I find this very disrespectful, dishonest and greedy.
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I was going to reference this thread as a similar problem, but I see it is your earlier thread: http://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/shared-well-question.56589/

From the technical aspect, there are pump controllers that will shut down a pump for a while when it runs out of water. http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/prod_sensor.html is from valveman's company.

Did you re-do your contract recently? I am wondering how you got the metering set up and the presumed agreement for electricity charge allocation.
  3. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Get a lawyer
  4. akcooper9

akcooper9 New Member

Can you post a copy of the contract?
  5. craigpump

craigpump Member

There is a very simple solution, drill your own well
    akcooper9 likes this.
  6. RAM1961

RAM1961 New Member

On the rez (Flathead Indian Reservation) where there's a big fight over water rights between the tribe and "everyone else" on-going. This well is on my property - I got the meters installed because I gave him a choice - meters or drill his own well. I don't know that he would be allowed to drill his own well right now but knew it would force the meter install.

The shared well agreement is just a standard boilerplate agreement. 50/50 maintenance, monthly bill paid by estimated fractional usage, etc. If disagreement exists on estimated fractional usage, install meters.

Well, I didn't have a clue he was using that much water - his place doesn't look like it. He used just short of 1000 gallons between 9 p.m. and 6:30 a.m. yesterday - I am going down to check meters here shortly so will see what he's used in the last 24 hour period.
  7. akcooper9

akcooper9 New Member

I don't personally think 35000 gallons over 2 months time is 'alot' of water BUT I do get where you are coming from in the sense that if you are using a quarter of the water he is on a 50/50 agreement why should you be stuck with half a repair bill.

Does he have another option for water...i.e....city? Can you buy him out?

I'd start making some phone calls if I was you for another well or buying him out

http://www.yellowpages.com/polson-mt/water-well-drilling-pump-contractors
  8. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Just install a Cycle Sensor to protect against run-dry. If his use causes a lot of cycling, also install a CSV.

When it is time to renew the agreement, prorate the maintenance.
  9. Texas Wellman

Texas Wellman In the Trades

35,000 / 60 days = 585 gpd. Not that high. Avg family of 4 uses 300-500 gpd.
  10. RAM1961

RAM1961 New Member

More like 40K gallons in 60 days, and yes that is high for a couple in their late 50's early 60's - just the two of them living here. They're trying to make a farm out of their place - the well contractors and plumbing contractors around here are telling me that's quite high. Agreement does not "renew", it would have to be amended. This is a subdivision 6 miles from town. Local usage average for a homeowner in the summer is 7-8K gallons a month, 5K gallons or less the other 6-8 months.
  11. akcooper9

akcooper9 New Member

High by who's standard? You are trying quantify x amount off water as excessive. 20k gallons a month is not a lot of water. You either need to drill a new well, buy them out or amed the contract. Else there isn't anything you can do except bother you.