Oven/Microwave installed on same wall as service panel

Users who are viewing this thread

Boo

Reaction score
Here's new one - sparked (no pun intended!) by a recent recall notice we received from the manufacturer of our new built-in oven (which we haven't even installed yet!).

We are replacing our old electric range with a new gas cooktop and separate oven/microwave/warming drawer combo. Had plumbers run the new gas lines but since we're moving the appliances to a wall on the opposite side of where they used to be, I'm a bit concerned about our proposed placement of the oven/microwave, etc. The only wall space on the new location will be on the other side of the garage where, unfortunately, the service panel will be pretty much directly on the other side of the oven. Of course, we're using the appropriate fire-rated 5/8" drywall and insulation, but I'm worried that there will be too much heat coming from behind the oven through the cabinet. It's an all-in-one unit that will be put into pre-built cabinets. Nothing in the installation is instructions nor in any of my DIY electrical books addresses this situation.

This came up because the recall notice said there were reports of fire started when someone used the self-cleaning mode on the oven. I rarely use that feature, but it got me thinking about where we're having to put the oven itself. With the configuration of the new cabinets, this is the only place we can put it.

As always, thanks for your helpful advice! It's always appreciated and I'm learning something new every time.

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Personally, I would use Fire-Rated Drywall material, not standard Drywall when dealing with areas that are heat generators.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks