Oval shaped lead closet bend???

Users who are viewing this thread

The Razz

Reaction score
The 1950s house that I recently purchased has a wobbly toilet.

Expecting a broken flange, I pulled the toilet to find no flange at all! The toilet is simply bolted to the floor with lead anchors and lag screws. The wax ring is “sealing†the toilet’s outlet to a lead closet bend.

Unfortunately, the bend is so tight and oval shaped, it prevents the installation of a suitable expandable sealing flange. So, I plan to revamp the piping with ABS and Ferncos.

Since the piping is in a crawl space and the existing CI is suspended 10-12†below the floor joists I’m wondering… instead of a closet bend off the flange, can’t I simply drop straight down and use a long sweep el to connect to the CI?

So, flange…8†or so length of ABS…sweep el…more ABS…Fernco to CI?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Fernco is a brand name...what you need is probably made by them, but since the pipe is not underground, make sure to use the proper banded coupling - not the thick rubber fitting with only the hose clamps at the end.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
replace_lead_bend.jpg

I normally just pull the lead out of the cast iron tee, and use a 4x3 flush bush into a insert rubber pipe donut.

fernco_hub_4.jpg

You can't really clamp onto lead.
I remove the lead bends, and replace with plastic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks