Outside water line frozen

Users who are viewing this thread

DAVID BOYLE

Reaction score
I'm posting this for a friend of mine who went away last weekend when the temps were record low negative numbers. He had what he thought were frozen pipes when he returned. The plumber he called out told him the pipes inside the house were not the problem but rather the pipe outside had frozen. He told them since they were not home to use any water and didn't leave a faucet cracked open this is why it happened. He suggested they contact the water company which they did, but were told this wasn't a water company issue and they would have to get someone to dig up the yard to gain access the pipes that were frozen. I know they don't have that kind of money to afford that and I just wondered if there was anything they could try in order to get the pipe thawed. Thanks to anyone who offers any help or suggestions.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Heat tape works if you can put it on the frozen pipe. But it may be slow go if it is frozen solid.

It may be where it comes out of the ground and enters the house. Most pipes are required to be buried below the frost line, so not much digging should be required.

A 50,000+ BTU heater works nice and would be a lot faster.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF the ground is frozen around the pipe, he will have to keep some flow or it will just freeze again. IF the pipe was "dug up" it would be even worse, because the loose ground would freeze even faster.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks