Output Dropped Way Off How Much To Lower Well Pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

rattmountain

Reaction score
Well dug in 1992 , 260 ft deep, well pump at approx 190 ft, liner perforated at 180 ft to 200 ft and 220 ft to 240 ft (skill saw slots) originally rated at 3/4 gal/min now gets much less. service call records indicates the output falloff happened in 2012. How much should I lower the pump to try to increase output and how far from bottom? Well log indicates pvc liner to 260 ft.

Thanks for any advice.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can set the pump down to 240-250 but if the well isn't making much water you won't gain anything beyond the initial 80+- gallons.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Which canyon are you up?

Some of the canyons or on badger mountain, 1/2 gallon per minute can be a good well. I've seen some wells that have a decent flow for a year or two, then drop off.

Long run you probably need to pump from the well to a holding tank, preferably at least 1,000 gallons, then resumption out of that.

Even a half gallon per minute is 720 gallons per day.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
The problem with setting the pump deeper is that you lose the cooling flow of water past the motor. You have a 4" pic liner. If the water comes from above the pump, it doesn't flow past the motor to cool it. You have no room to shroud the motor to force the water around the motor.

Who drilled the well?

Reach4

Reaction score
How long does the pump run at a time? What shuts the pump off -- an electronic pump protector? How long does the pump then stay off after the protector shuts down the pump?

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I lived in Wenatchee for over 25 years. Have drilled just about everywhere in Chelan & Douglas counties. I'm located in Grant County now.

I dont drill domestic wells anymore, just irrigation & municipal wells. I do domestic pumps though, for more than one drilling company that don't do them themselves. Set pumps this last week at Crescent Bar, Moses Lake, Othello, Basin City. Had a service call at the Gorge. Setting pumps this coming week so far at Crescent Bar, Quincy, Royal City, Moses Lake.

rattmountain

Reaction score
hey, thanks for the replies, the well log claims .75 gpm (3 0r 4 I wish) the well is located on markovich road in south cle elum, the well was tested to to have water at 180 by well driller, turned on well pump and it ran around 15 min (has a 1 gpm dole valve/flow restricter) then appeared to lose discharge pressure, turned off pump and water level was measured at 190 ft (so I thought that is where the pump is i.e losing suction pressure).

The pump does have electronic pump protector on it but I am unsure if I trust it yet, all pump cycling I am doing by hand.

Bach drilling drilled the well in 1992.

thanks

rattmountain

Reaction score
Does anyone know of somebody or outfit that has a well camera in the area, would like to see if the circular saw perforations are clogged up. We are going to have the pump pulled and inspected for any problems and would like to look down the well at that time.

thanks

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm located in Royal city. I have a van mounted video system and a portable laval R-1000 system also. There are also companies with camera vans in Moses Lake, Yakima, and Umatilla, OR. Im not aware of anyone in Ellensburg has a down hole camera.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
Well dug in 1992 , 260 ft deep, well pump at approx 190 ft, liner perforated at 180 ft to 200 ft and 220 ft to 240 ft (skill saw slots) originally rated at 3/4 gal/min now gets much less. service call records indicates the output falloff happened in 2012. How much should I lower the pump to try to increase output and how far from bottom? Well log indicates pvc liner to 260 ft.

Thanks for any advice.

Are you still using the pump that was installed in 1992 on 1gpm Dole Valve? If so, what is the brand of your pump?

rattmountain

Reaction score
Hello

I don't know the pump make but I believe it is 3/4 hp and I don't know if it is the original pump installed in the well. We are going to have the well pump pulled and well video done and go from there.

thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
While the pump is pulled, note the waterline on the pipe. That should give the static level. Also note the pump depth. And photograph the labels on the pump. Stay out of their way in the process.

The well people are going to recommend that they put a new pump in while the pump is pulled. If the pump is 24 years old, I would go along with that. If the pump is 6 years old, they will still recommend a new pump I predict. I would think that through in advance rather than decide under pressure. You would want a 1/2 HP pump rather than 3/4 HP. If you could get 1/4 HP, that would be better... but not available.

Do you pump up much sediment now? If the camera shows you have a lot of sediment at the bottom of the well, I think you might benefit from a cleaning.

Grundfos makes an SQ and SQE pump which is about 2.9 inches OD. It could go in a 3 inch flow inducer. You don't see much discussion about running those with a 1 GPM Dole valve, but the charts seem to not forbid that.

I am not a pro.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks