Outdoor Water Supply from Lake

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Dave1985, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Dave1985

Dave1985 New Member

So I'm looking at buying a house in New Hampshire where the winters get cold. They use water that comes from the lake which is about 30-40 feet away.
    they had a buried water line that is crushed and they replaced it with another water line that is on the surface, so obviously it freezes in the winter.
    Assuming I can not fix the underground pipe and assuming I do not have enough land to drill a well, what are my options for the pipe above ground?
    Insulate it? Use heat tape? Both? and then bury it a little under the ground?
    Thanks!
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Insulate it. As long as it get regular (frequent) use, it should not freeze. For less frequent use some people put in a drain-back system.

http://www.cottagewatersupply.com/
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

In souther NH the freeze line is probably about 42" deep! Insulation does little to keep a pipe from freezing. You could use heat tape, which is an expensive solution. Is this a year round occupancy? If not, figure out how to winterize. If it is year-round, get the pipe installed at the proper depth.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The bigger question is whether the "lake water is really potable water", unless you only use it for utility purposes.