Outdoor Tee Upstream or Downstream of Pressure Tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

D C

Reaction score
I'm in the planning stages of moving my pressure tank to a different location in my house, along with the pressure switch. They're currently in the under-porch room that I'm turning into a wine cellar, and that room lacks a drain. So in order to free up room and prevent damage in the event of a leak, I'm moving the tank/switch to my furnace room (with a drain), next to the softener. The distance from old to new location is probably 40' by way of the pipes.

I'm debating with myself about the outdoor branch (hard water) that comes off the line about 1/3 of the way from the tank to the softener. This is the branch that feeds my lawn sprinkler system. The main line is 1" and the outdoor branch is also 1". When my sprinklers are on, the pump runs constantly, as it should, rather than switching on/off repeatedly.

Does it matter if this outdoor branch is upstream of the pressure tank & switch? or should I move it so it's still downstream of the pressure tank like it is today?

In other words:

Current Setup:
Inlet-Tank-----------Tee-----------------------------------Softener

Proposed:
Inlet------------------Tee------------------------------------Tank-Softener
or
Inlet-----------------------------------------------------------Tank-Tee-Softener

3/4 hp, 10 gpm pump if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
Dave

D C

Reaction score
It must be after check valve that maintains the pressure in the tank.

Interesting. I don't have a check valve in the system currently, not inside the house anyhow (as professionally installed/inspected 15 years ago).

Inlet-------tee-------tank

from that tee, it goes: |

tee----gate valve/boiler drain------ball valve-------outside tee-------softener & rest of house

Where should the check valve be? It would be to stop pressure from flowing back out the pump, correct? So it must be on the pump itself, or in the line before the house inlet, correct?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks