Outdoor plumbing?

Users who are viewing this thread

metlc

Reaction score
I'm doing an extensive downstairs rennovation on a small Southern California Depression-era "bungalow" (OK, shack). By "extensive" I mean: joist replacement (rim and floor), external reframing on two sides, etc. The minimal fixtures involved (kitchen, shower and lavatory) were/are all located near the perimeter, so the pipes were simply run outside along the perimeter and then straight through the wall to the fixtures.

Since I'm reframing, I can now run everything inside the walls. I was talking with one of my affluent friends who has an old (but nice) house. He's done the copper repipe already and also has installed his own central A/C. I joked about "moving up" into the modern world of indoor plumbing, and he smiled. "There's a lot to be said for outdoor plumbing runs."

Considering that much of the original damage was caused by faulty plumbing, I'm adding up the pros and cons of indoor vs. outdoor plumbing. Appearance aside, if I'm doing Indoor runs, I've got to hog out (weaken) the studwalls for the pipes, I've got to worry about the joints stressing and leaking due to quakes (we've had three moderate ones), and condensation. On the Outdoor side, the main concern (aside from appearance) seems to be moisture intrusion from the multiple entries.

As an aside, if I do go "indoor," is it true that using PVC for cold water in the walls is (a) code approved, (b) more forgiving of quake stress and (C) less susceptible to condensation sweating than copper?

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

a) No I don't know any code that approves CVP
b) No It gets brittle
c) I don't know, but it doesn't matter because, you cannot use PVC for water distribution anywhere inside a home.

Deb
The Pipewench

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
indoors

Other than Deb's advice not to use PVC indoors, drilling through the studs does not weaken them, unless you go overboard on the hole size, any more than cutting "lightening" holes in a truck or trailer frame weakens it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks