Outdoor patio drains, Zurn products & traps...

Users who are viewing this thread

Speede541

Reaction score
Outdoor patio drains, sediment traps, and Zurn floor drains...

Got a little concrete patio paving project cooking that calls for 5 surface drains.

I want some nice looking, good quality round drains. Zurn has a FD2210 "Floor Drain" model but the tear sheet doesn't specify outdoor use. It's nickel and PVC. Any of you use these?

http://www.zurn.com/operations/lightcommercial/pdfs/specsheets/FD2210.pdf

Zurn also lists "Deck Drains," but they're huge, the price is out of hand and their build quality looks overkill.

I've found exactly zero references online or in my plumbing books regarding traps under outdoor patio drains. Of course this is draining into a storm water system, not the sanitary sewer, but I'm concerned about trapping sludge and small rocks under each drain and keeping it there, rather than letting it into the system and forming a clog further down the system.

Any good reference websites or words of advice on the proper way to arrange this?

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Not sure what you are planning but, with pavers over a proper base, water drains into the cracks very quickly.

You have no sewer gas issues, so I see no purpose in using a trap. A catch basin is normally used to separate the solids from the liquids.

Speede541

Reaction score
I'm familiar with these big, black PVC catch basins that I'd use near a faucet or elsewhere in landscaping, but in this case that wouldn't be appropriate for my needs for the center of a concrete patio. Unless you can point me to one that connects directly to a 4" PVC surface drain fitting?

The drains I'm installing are connecting directly to a storm water system, so noxious gases aren't the problem, but I *do* want a trap to catch sediment.

I could just fab my own, capping one end of a 4" PVC Tee, setting the capped end down creating a 90 with a little sump area?

Last edited:

Speede541

Reaction score
All the drain lines were installed and buried long ago when we were doing the foundation, without a centralized cleanout box, so I'm just doing short branches off of my exposed vertical connection points to each drain. I'll need to keep the sediment collection local to each drain.

Any reason why something simple like this wouldn't work for my needs?

patio-drain.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You can use the brass drains anywhere you want to, but if you are going to remove the covers frequently to remove the debris, you probably want cast iron ones with "drop in strainers".

Speede541

Reaction score
Great. I considered the iron, but they're ugly as sin. I figure that at least with Zurn, I know I'll be able to get replacements grates down the road. I figure once-a-year cleanings will be sufficient, hopefully less frequently. SS screws with anti-seize ought to keep me in business.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks