Outdoor Icemaker Installation Question

Users who are viewing this thread

FriscoTX

Reaction score
Hello, all...

I'm having an outdoor kitchen built around our pool. I'd like to put an under-counter icemaker in it but now I'm told there might be a problem getting a water line connection, of all things. My pool guy thinks it shouldn't be a big deal to tap into the irrigation circuit, but the grill guy says that wouldn't be a good idea due to fertilizer and chemical penetration of those lines.

I suggested going the irrigation route and installing a water filter in-line but he wasn't any more fond of that idea. He suggested a y-piece fitting for a front-yard spiggot and then running a line across my front flowerbeds...veto!

Any suggestions?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water

The irrigation system is considered "non-potable" water once it leaves the backflow device. 99+% of the time there would be no problem with using it for the icemaker, however, but that one infinitessimal time it could create a problem. You would be safer running it to a source of potable water such as off a hose faucet or before the irrigation safety valve.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's the reason you don't drink the water in some countries.

I think going through a flower bed for pure water is a much better idea, than drinking your irrigation water and taking your chances.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're going to a heck of a lot of expense to save carrying a bucket or two of ice when you are using your outdoor kitchen. It seems to me that the added expense of running a water line from a safe water supply would be minimal. If winter freezing is a concern, design it so that this line can be shut off and drained at the end of the summer season.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
I can only hope you are not serious about tapping into your non potable irrigation piping. I, for one, wouldnt even consider accepting a beverage that contained ice made from the water in that line. Neither your pool guy nor your grill guy are plumbers, but at least the grill guy has some common sense. Call a plumber in to evaluate the situation. It wouldnt be that hard to install a waterline running underground to a point of connection to a potable supply. This line could easily be installed so as to drain every off season. Cross connection = VETO

Good luck

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If the plumber says to connect to the irrigation line he needs to have his licence pulled.

Here is a nice senario,

a dog uses your lawn as a toilet, the waste then filters down to a small unknown break and backfeeds into the irrigation line and enters via the break,
the bacteria grow like mad in the warm water,you then come along and turn on the water and get a nice long drink. Yum.

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I think if we were to look it up, we'd find that urine is sterile... but anyway... now that the right water source pipe has been selected, the project should be handed off to the water treatment guys... An ice maker has a kinda special need for high quality water or it won't be working service free for very long. Or making high quality ice. Especially one used part of the year and in TX with their very hard water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks