outdoor fence ideas

Users who are viewing this thread

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking of installing an outdoor fence this winter. It's about 90 linear feet of fencing. I was thinking about going with vinyl for the longevity. Also want something solid that can't been seen through (no spacing) for privacy.

I have no problem digging holes where there is dirt and installing the posts, however, about 60 feet of the fencing will be on top of concrete slab. What do you think is the best approach to securing the posts.

I could rent core drills if there are methods for core drilling and installing prelimanary skinny posts that would act as support for the hollow vinyl posts.

How do I go about this? Are there other fencing options that would make the install easier? Also, do they sell concrete that cures well in cold temperatures?

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I will look into those products. That was exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.

Quick question:

The fence I will be installing will be 6' tall. Will these products work for a 6' high fence as opposed to a 4' high fence.

I'm just a little worried if a strong wind pushes on the posts, with a higher one like 6', there will be more force exerted on these metal connectors. Especially the ones that get bolted to the concrete(I feel these will be weaker than the spikes in the dirt). What do you think?

Do I have to order these online, or can I get in in a supply house?

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I'm just a little worried if a strong wind pushes on the posts, with a higher one like 6', there will be more force exerted on these metal connectors. Especially the ones that get bolted to the concrete(I feel these will be weaker than the spikes in the dirt). What do you think?

Force on a fence
http://www2.scitech.sussex.ac.uk/services/WeatherStation/technical/Windforce.html

@60 mph it's 14# per sq. ft.
A 6' high fence 8' long = 48 sq. ft
48x14 = 672# of force
/2 = 340# on each post from each 8' section
340' x 6'/2 = 1020 lb-ft of torque. on each support at the ground level.

For one upright between two panels it'd be 2040 lb-ft, trying to snap the post off of the post anchor.
Hence the disclaimer,
Simpson Strong-Tie does not guarantee, represent or warrant that this product will perform under, or prevent or reduce damage caused by corrosion, any seismic, wind, atmospheric, or other load-producing event.

The question is, what kind of force does a fence between houses actually see?

Last edited:

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
Do you think these brackets will support a 6' high 4x4?

What kind of anchoring system you think will work best in the concrete?

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
nice post thatguy. over 2,000 pounds of force seems like a lot. The other option would be to rent a core drilling machine and drill 12" diameter holes in the concrete and secure the post with cement (that's a lot of sweat). I'm now officially see sawing back and forth and don't know what to do. This is why I stick to interior work.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I guess you could get small and long horizontal I beams bolted together and covered over with wood, to bridge the 60', with the composite I beam anchored to posts at each end.
But that's a long way, and that I beam or beams would be a special order.

Possibly just one solidly anchored post at the 30' mark would be enough to resist torqueing due to wind.

Maybe a civil engineer will chime in, at this point. :confused:
"A deus ex machina 'god from the machine' is a plot device in which a person or thing appears "out of the blue" to help a character to overcome a seemingly insolvable difficulty."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_ex_machina

Nah, that only happens in the movies. :(

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some of the fiberglass fencing systems are designed to slide over a 4x4 post. If you could sink that in a hole through the concrete, it would be pretty strong. If you sunk an iron pipe in the ground and then stuck a post over that might work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks