Outdoor faucet repair

Users who are viewing this thread

tate16t

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm in need of a little direction on repairing my outdoor faucet. As you will see a crack has appeared. Can someone offer suggestions on how to fix this. The downspout leads to my outdoor sprinkler system.

Attachments

• IMG00052-20110506-1014.jpg
    IMG00052-20110506-1014.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,665
Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What I see appears to be a split in the pipe on the lower left corner of the photo. The simple answer to the question is to cut the split out, solder a new piece of pipe with couplers on each side. I would guess you did not winterize the system in the fall. I don't recognize the device in the center of the picture. Is that supposed to be a back flow preventer? You definitely need one if you are using your domestic water supply for lawn irrigation, but I've never seen one that looks like what is pictured.

tate16t

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. The split is on the center piece which I believe is the BPD. There is no split on the pipe itself.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Good Morning all,

If the Valve is working, and just leaking then you can clean the crack , and use J-B WaterWeld to fix the leak.

J-B WaterWeld works good and last a long time. My be worth trying.

Have a Great day.

DonL

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You wouldn't make a habit of drinking water out of the toilet, would you?

That valve has been frozen, and there is little doubt that it will not be sealing. A properly installed backflow preventer is the only thing that prevents contaminated irrigation water from being pulled back into the homes drinking water. Doing this wrong could make everyone in the house very sick, or worse.

The first think that should be done is to find out what type of backflow preventers are permitted in your area. The local plumbing inspector or a local plumber will know. Do not turn that branch of the water system on until it has been properly repaired.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks like it froze and I see that you are from New York. I would cut it all out and put in a proper frost proof hose bibb with anti siphon vacuum breaker. Then re do the connection for irrigation, you could connect it to this new hose bibb or connect it under the house and bring it out and you do need a proper vacuum breaker for you irrigation line.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is a check valve, and it is NOT an approved "backflow" preventer for an irrigation system, unless ALL your zone valves have integral vacuum breakers on them, but then you would not need the check valve either. Take it out and install the correct type of valve, either a "pressure backflow preventer", or a "reduced pressure zone backflow preventer" whichever your area requires, but NOT an "atmospheric vacuum breaker".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks