Tub ought to be in the Smithsonian

Users who are viewing this thread

perrycat

Reaction score
Saw a really cool bathtub today, it's very old, I've never seen anything like it. It's waste and overflow is open at the top behind the wall in the access panel, and the tub spout which is IN the tub, acts as both an overflow and a tub spout.....I don't know what keeps the water from running down the waste before getting to the spout.
Anyway, it's a gonner, they need a new trap, and waste and overflow, and because of the way this thing is part of the tub/shower valve, they need a new shower valve too.

Here's EXACTLY what it was.....right down to the handles....strange I found it.

http://www.ashireporter.org/photos/thumbnails/2006_08/Bath1.gif

perrycat

Reaction score
Thanks both of you, I like that site you sent with the very different tub/shower valves....with clawfoot tubs coming back so much, I'm sure just knowing a little about these will be really good experience.

I had a lady want me to install a "vessel sink" today, take out the laundry tub and in it's place put in this "vessel sink". I've never put one in, but it didn't look all that bad. A little intimidating at first, but I quoted her time and material on it and she balked like crazy at my price of 4 to 6 hours for it. But I think she'll be calling us back when she checks around.

My point is....it seems like there's really some crazy fixtures coming out and people seem to really like this stuff. So learning how to put them in and put them in fast will pay off big time I'd think.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

You are mistaken when you say the spout is also the overflow. The pipe inside the wall has a long tube inside it up to the overflow level of the tub. When you run water in the tub the water rises around the tube until it reaches the top of it, then the water begins to flow down the inside of the tube to provide overflow protection. The tub spout being inside the tub is an excellent source of backflow contamination if the water supply to the house is turned off while the tub is filling, which is why that system was outlawed in the 30's. Wolf was one of the companies which made the tub and faucets.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks