Orientation of sanitary tees in vents

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by JimV, Jan 10, 2008.

1. JimV

JimV New Member

Should sanitary tees be installed in vent systems so that they facilitate air flowing down towards the waste pipes, or upward to allow air to flow easily out of the system? Thanks.
  2. Fubar411

Fubar411 New Member

I'm no plumber, but I've been told it is to show the next guy it is a vent. But it also aids the water to drail if rainfall gets in there or there is condensation.
  3. BAPlumber

BAPlumber Plumber

vents must slope towards a drain, so whether on a stack or on a horizontal, the fitting must slope to the drain. It's more about water than air.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tees

By convention, and to make inspectors happy, they are usually installed inverted, but as a practical matter air is a gas and thus does not need "sweep" fittings to help its flow.
  5. JimV

JimV New Member

Thanks

Thanks for your help.
  6. construct30

construct30 New Member

I was told the answer to this questin is "yes". Do whatever the inspector likes and don't waste time worrying. I usually run them like drains for water to run. HJ is right air will move regardless, water alone will go down without issue really either way too.

I don't think for most of us it is a code issue, but it might be for some.