Ordering a Toto from a big box store?

Users who are viewing this thread

zuren

Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is my first post...

My wife and I bought a house that needs some updates. Considering our cash reserves are low and my ability to DIY is high, I think I will be spending a lot of time at this site.

I'm looking to replace the 1970s toilet in our master bath; it uses a ton of water and despite all that water, it doesn't fully evacuate the bowl. After a couple days, the bowl and the water in it starts smelling like a zoo. So we are having to clean it frequently meaning we are dumping tons of water and cleaning chemicals into our septic unnecessarily. I considered replacing the internals but the design is old and it sits very low. I think it is time for something entirely new.

It seems that Toto is well regarded on the forum and box store offerings should be avoided. What about ordering a Toto through a box store? I ran a search on Toto's website and the nearest showroom is a 2 hr. round trip from me. I can order a Toto Drake 1.6GF (CST743S01) from HD for $217 and have it delivered to the store for free. I'm wondering if this is a happy compromise?

I'm still deciding between a Drake or a Drake Eco but will save that for another thread. Thanks!

Larry S

Occasional DIY'er
Reaction score
Ask me in a day or two.

I ordered a Toto Entrada, elongated bowl and comfort (chair/ada) height from HD for $192 Plus another $49 for the Toto Toilet Seat. To make a long story short there has been a series of shipping errors with a wrong piece shipped from the HD warehouse to the store TWICE. Each turn around takes 5 to 7 days and I'm on the third try now. I called HD national customer service a few times directly last week to make sure it was shipped ASAP and it was supposed to be delivered to the store today - they gave me a UPS tracking number. I saw an "exception" today on UPS that indicated an incorrect address so I called HD customer service and they claim to have just fixed it with UPS and it will be delivered to the store tomorrow. So hopefully after tomorrow I'll know if they actually shipped the right part (toilet bowl) and if it was delivered to the store for pick up tomorrow. Hopefully my problem is not their usual practice.

There is a post someplace on this forum that compares the Entrada to the Drake in case you are interested. The Entrada is 1.28 gallon. I ordered it as it was the cheapest Toto that had an elongated seat and the higher seat height. The comparable Drake model was around $290 from HD and the 1.6 gallon Drake with the elongated/high seat was over $300 there.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Bad that there were screw ups on the order, but good that HD had to deal with it. Bad you had have the delays. FWIW, I bought my w Totos from Terry. It's a 4 hour RT for me, but got a break on the second one as Terry had personal business 35 miles from me and saved the longer trip. I've been just super pleased with both of these toilets. I wouldn't hesitate to spend the time if necessary to get these quality toilets.

Larry S

Occasional DIY'er
Reaction score
My toilet, Toto Entrada, finally came in at Home Depot. Picked it up and installed it today and all is well. I'm a little disappointed on their shipping issues that delayed this almost two weeks, but happy with the product and price. The closest plumbing dealer that stocks Toto is a bit far from my home and they quoted list price to me on the phone. My alternative to Home Depot would have been online as a lot of the other dealers I saw online had pretty high shipping charges.

Interesting that the toilet was shipped from a Home Depot warehouse to the local store via UPS. The toilet was double boxed with the boxes you'd expect packed inside of much much larger boxes with 3 of 4 inches of foam on all sides for shipping protection.

EDIT: BTW in case anyone cares - My Entrada was made in Ecuador.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have come across the foamed boxes a few times from customers. The stuff I get from my suppliers will fold flat and store easily in the vans. The foam, takes 10 minutes to peel the toilet out, and then fills up the van when I'm done. I'm so glad I get my stuff locally. In the Seattle area it takes me 10 minutes to pick anything I want up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks