Ordering a Toto - Confused on # of Models!!

Users who are viewing this thread

pearlbluevtx

Reaction score
I need the best flushing toilet with reasonable pricing.

I've narrowed down my search to several Totos but now pricing out the Toto Ultramax.

Am I correct in assuming this -

1) ultramax is a great toilet

2) getting the Toto G-MAX is the best Toto flushing system (??) (ie, vs e-max & others)

3) to me, Sanoglass DOES seem worth it

4) lastly, is it my understanding that an ADA compliant UltraMax will even flush better than regular height UltraMax?

However, I'm having a difficult time trying to find an UltraMax w/ ADA + CEFIONTECT + G-Max + Elongated. Does this combination exist?

If the UltraMax is my best buy (performance, quality & price), then I'm good with that. However, I'm open to power-assist toilets, commercial grade toilets that have the highest power known to man ... I'm a desperate dude dealing - the 'obstructions'!!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, you can get a Toto Ultra Max in the configuration you describe, and that would be an excellent choice. Whatever you do, avoid the power-assist toilets. These are attempts to make a poorly designed toilet function. They are loud, prone to fail which entails expensive repairs and in some cases, parts that are no longer available. Toto does not make a power assist toilet. ADA toilets do flush slightly better than standard height because the additional height provides a bit more pressure from gravity.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Terry has them listed on this web site. Go to the Home Page and click on "Shopping". Then select "Toto Toilets". Scroll down to the Ultra Max. The are the third model on this list. Then use the pull down menu to locate the exact toilet you want. That will give you the model number to take to a plumbing shop. Note: Terry's prices are likely quite a bit less than you will find locally.

jeffdt

Reaction score
The only Toto Ultramax I've seen in ADA, elongated, CEFIONTECT is the EMAX 1.28 flush. Never seen all three in a 1.6/gal Gmax

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Apparently I miss read the options. The ADA Ultramax does not have CEFIONTECT, but it does have a 1.6 gal flush. Might be well to check with Terry or a couple of the other plumbers that sell and install lots of Totos to verify just what is currently available.

Geobrick

Reaction score
The Eco Ultramax ADA with CEFIONTECT = MS854114ELG
If there were a non-Eco version with ADA and CEFIONTECT, it would be MS854114SLG but there's no such model currently on their website.

Get the Eco Ultramax. They seem to list for the same price as the regular Ultramax (when comparing the same type and color) and you may even be eligible for a rebate. If it turns out that the 1.28 G flush is a problem for you, find out how easy it is to convert it to a 1.6G by reading certain posts on this forum. I wanted the eco ultramax for the water co rebate offered in my area but I would have had to wait 3 weeks for the color I wanted. I ended up getting the regular ultramax.

pearlbluevtx

Reaction score
thanks for the comments. I was really wanting the G-MAX flush system. Is the ECO version just as good? (I haven't had time to compare them ... or is it just G-MAX = 1.6 and ECO = 1.28 ??)

appreciate the info.

The Eco Ultramax ADA with CEFIONTECT = MS854114ELG
If there were a non-Eco version with ADA and CEFIONTECT, it would be MS854114SLG but there's no such model currently on their website.

Get the Eco Ultramax. They seem to list for the same price as the regular Ultramax (when comparing the same type and color) and you may even be eligible for a rebate. If it turns out that the 1.28 G flush is a problem for you, find out how easy it is to convert it to a 1.6G by reading certain posts on this forum. I wanted the eco ultramax for the water co rebate offered in my area but I would have had to wait 3 weeks for the color I wanted. I ended up getting the regular ultramax.

Geobrick

Reaction score
Check out this post from this forum: https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...become-illegal&p=174220&viewfull=1#post174220

It should take you to a post by Peanut9199 (or a number like that). He explains that the only difference between an Eco and non-Eco is a weight that forces the flapper to close faster with each flush. Remove the weight and you have a standard Ultramax. The weight is also referred to as a float but it's a weight according to follow-up posts.

fred54

Reaction score
Not to make your decision process any more difficult, but have you considered the Ultramax II ? It's also a 1.28 gallon, but uses Toto's latest flushing system, the double cyclone. The main difference between the G-Max/E-Max versus the double cyclone is that with the G-Max, the water enters the bowl from holes all around the bottom of the rim and goes straight down the sides. With the double cyclone, the water enters sideways from two spots on the sides of the bowl and swirls around the side before going down. Supposedly, this does a better job of cleaning the bowl, which if anything is the one minor knock some people seem to have with the G-Max Ultramax (if comments on the internet are to be believed).

I've just gone through the same thinking process as you, starting with wanting the GMax, but ended up opting for the Eco Soiree which is essentially what you get when you add a skirt (for easier cleaning of the exterior) to an Ultramax II with ADA, CEFIONTECT, and elongated bowl. It was the better bowl cleaning, plus a lot of comments from people who are happy with their double cyclone that made up my mind for me. (Also, maybe I'm just an old fashioned kind of guy who expects a little swirl with his flush.)

Anyhow, please don't take my comment as a recommendation of the double cyclone (my Soiree doesn't even arrive until tomorrow). Just a suggestion that you consider all your options since you'll have whatever you choose for a long time.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I would second the recommendation for the Ultramax II. I have 2 of them in my house and the double cyclone bowl wash works very well. Do a search on this model on this site and you'll see other comments and even a video demonstrating the flushing action.

It does come in ADA height and CEFIONTECT.

pearlbluevtx

Reaction score
thanks fred54 & steveW ... great info. I will consider the UltraMax II - had not even considered that as an option b/c I've focused so much on the GMAX system. I'll research that more.

Fred54 - the full-skirt of the soiree is appealing as well & I think my wife might appreciate that since she is burdened with cleaning these things most of the time. I have it on my short-list and if you can post your thoughts on it when you get it, I'd really appreciate it. thanks!!

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Speaking of cleaning, the Ultramax II does come in a one-piece version - that's what I got. Looks more modern and "cleaner" lines, and is actually easier to keep clean due to not having the joint between tank and bowl.

pearlbluevtx

Reaction score
yes, I was planning on the one-piece ultramax or ultramax II ... if they existed, that's what I was hoping for. But for the Soiree, that full-skirt seems prudent because it would be easier to clean especially if you have boys in the house!

Birdman

Reaction score
I too am in the process of looking for the best flushing Toto I can find. I am in Toronto, Canada and I wonder if some of the "names" are different. I am looking for a 1 piece, elongated with CEFIONTECT and a great flush. There is lots of material on the web and this forum on the Ultrama with CEFIONTECT model with 1.6gpf (no cyclone flush) and in this thread, some references to the Ultramax II which is a 1.28gpf.
I was just on the phone with a plumbing supply here in Toronto, and they said they can get the Ultrama w/ CEFIONTECT in the 1.6gpf OR, (according to them) Toto is starting to phase that model out, and is starting to phase in the "Gwyneth" model, which is also a 1 piece, elongated with Sanaglos and cyclone flush, but it is only a 1.28gpf. He mentioned he can get them for the same price.
I am a little concerned that 1.28 may not be enough water, but I do like the idea of the cyclone flush.
I have a bunch of kids and they seem to be always on the toilet!
Any thoughts? I am indeed confused.

fred54

Reaction score
pearlblue: I will definitely let you know how the Soiree works out. So far, all I can tell you is that it arrived in perfect condition via UPS, my wife and I were able to muscle it upstairs, and it looks nice sitting in the bathroom where it will be installed.

peanut: It figures they would come out with a cheaper model immediately after I had purchased the Soiree. I would estimate that the street price for the carlyle II will be around $80 less than the Soiree.

birdman: There are three Toto's with the Ultramax name. The original is the 1.6 gallon Ultramax with the G-Max flush. The Eco Ultramax is essentially identical to the original, except it uses 1.28 gallons. The Gwyneth is what they now call the Ultramax II and is 1.28 gallons with the double cyclone. With a lot of kids, the 20% water savings per flush (1.28 vs 1.6) can really add up.

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I too am in the process of looking for the best flushing Toto I can find. I am in Toronto, Canada and I wonder if some of the "names" are different. I am looking for a 1 piece, elongated with CEFIONTECT and a great flush. There is lots of material on the web and this forum on the Ultrama with CEFIONTECT model with 1.6gpf (no cyclone flush) and in this thread, some references to the Ultramax II which is a 1.28gpf.
I was just on the phone with a plumbing supply here in Toronto, and they said they can get the Ultrama w/ CEFIONTECT in the 1.6gpf OR, (according to them) Toto is starting to phase that model out, and is starting to phase in the "Gwyneth" model, which is also a 1 piece, elongated with Sanaglos and cyclone flush, but it is only a 1.28gpf. He mentioned he can get them for the same price.
I am a little concerned that 1.28 may not be enough water, but I do like the idea of the cyclone flush.
I have a bunch of kids and they seem to be always on the toilet!
Any thoughts? I am indeed confused.

I have the Gwyneth/Ultramax II in one-piece, so is 1.28 gpf. Works just fine - even better than my 1.6 gpf Soiree which seems to need a lot of double-flushing for solids.

Birdman

Reaction score
Thanx for the replies. In my mind, there are really 2 potential issues with a 1.28gpf rather than a 1.6. (Although they may be misguided).
The first issue is whether there is sufficient water for an effective flush and it sounds from this thread as if people generally do not have any issues with the flush / abiilty to vacate waste from the bowl, with the 1.28.

The second issue in my mind, is the amount of water that sits in the bowl, which seems to be related to marks and streaks in the bowl. The larger the pool of water in the bowl, the less likely there is to be streaks in the bowl. Not sure if this is true but seems to be my real world experience. Can anyone comment on whether the 1.28gpf models tend to have significantly less water sitting in the bowl than the 1.6 and therefore tend to be "dirtier"?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 1.28 tanks have been working fine.

Most of the more recent bowls have a similar water spot.
Whether they are filled with a 1.28 or by a 1.60

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks