Order of vents - traps

Users who are viewing this thread

entrinsic

Reaction score
Form has been a great resource but can't find an answer to what may be a simple question.

I'm re-plumbing a basement bathroom and Utility room, running all drain lines below the slab (original not permitted and very sketchy).

From the main stack moving upstream the order of the fixtures /tie-ins are as follows: The main line to the sewer is 4" and the lien I intend to run starts as a 3:, ends a a 2".

Toilet - 3" into a wye into the 3" new line - within critical distance of the stack, no secondary vent

Lavatory - 2" to wye into 3" new line - seperate 1.5" vent line run in wall to main stack vent tie-in

Floor drain - 3" P-trap to 3" line to wye into 3" new line - no vent, within 12' of main stack as per my code/inspector (Alberta Canada) new line reduces from 3" to 2" upstream of the wye that ties in the floor drain

Shower - 2" p-trap to wye into 2" new line - vent is 1.5" line 2' upstream of shower tie-in wye (this is part of my question)

Clothes Washer / Lanundry Tub - 2" p-trap below grade into 2" line - vent is same vent as described for the shower, but washer/laundry tub p-trap is within critical distance of the 1.5" vent.

Diagram is attached.

My question, is there an issue with the washing machine/laundry tub and the shower sharing the vent where that vent is 3' downstream of the laundry p-trap and 2' upstream of the shower p-trap? Is the 2" line large enough to act as a wet vent for the shower for that 2' horizontal run?

Effectively the laundry vent is downstream of the lanudry p-trap while the shower vent is upstream of the shower p-trap.

Thanks,

Jeff

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
My question, is there an issue with the washing machine/laundry tub and the shower sharing the vent where that vent is 3' downstream of the laundry p-trap and 2' upstream of the shower p-trap? Is the 2" line large enough to act as a wet vent for the shower for that 2' horizontal run?

Effectively the laundry vent is downstream of the lanudry p-trap while the shower vent is upstream of the shower p-trap.

You can't wet vent those two fixtures together. The laundry needs to be connected independent of other fixtures.

entrinsic

Reaction score
You can't wet vent those two fixtures together. The laundry needs to be connected independent of other fixtures.

When you say "laundry need to be connected independant of other fixtures" do you mean only as applies to venting or as a completely seperate tie-in to the main line that doesn't have other fixtures draining into the line leading to the main drain?

Having trouble attaching the picture, the pdf is too large.

thanks,

Jeff

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
When you say "laundry need to be connected independant of other fixtures" do you mean only as applies to venting or as a completely seperate tie-in to the main line that doesn't have other fixtures draining into the line leading to the main drain?

Having trouble attaching the picture, the pdf is too large.

thanks,

Jeff

Yup you should have the Laundry tide into the main line independent of your other fixtures. Laundries discharge really fast. Laundries also discharge lint that causes clogs.

I use the Mass State code just so you know.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks