Order of Operations - Doors

Users who are viewing this thread

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Want to see if some of you have some suggestions here.

I have to install 7 interior doors. I will be using Pre-Hung doors. I will be replacing the hinges on all the doors to convert over to nickel over the brass.

I guess the first question is: Does anyone have a preference on L*wes vs HD pre-hung?

Would you hang the doors and then paint them or would you paint them and then hang them?

Thanks

Tom

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
HD has always sold Masonite/Premdor for stock interior doors. Lowes is probably very similar.

Typically you would install the doors, then remove and LABEL the slabs for painting, and safekeeping during the balance of the construction phase, if applicable.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
My experience with prehungs (Masonite) from HD led me to stop buying prehungs altogether. The quality of the casing and millwork was abominable. I now make my own jamb/header, buy the slab and hang it.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Somehow I'm not surprised. I think the big box stores have beaten me into submission.

Tom

Squ1rrel

Reaction score
lowe's prehungs are fiberboard hollowcores with finger-jointed casing, same with their slabs. They have some of the cheap-o lauan plywood doors, and some solid pine slabs

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks