orange filters

Users who are viewing this thread

fishpa

Reaction score
Folks,
I have recently bought this house and one of the things I've got to correct is the water. I have to change filters weekly due to the amount of gunk (orange) coing out of the well. It occured to me that if I raised the pump about six feet it may get it out of what I presume is a mud layer. Is this a common thing? Is my plan considered "orthodox?
Bob

R

Rancher

Orange is iron oxide, raising the pump won't normally help, you need a water analysis first off, then consider the treatment options.

Rancher

sha424

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I have to change my filters every 5-7 days. I had tests done by the local "experts' and the local water filter suppliers and they say its iron oxide with sediment. They want me to purchase a "system" but they want to keep the whole house filter in the system right where it is now and place the treatment system after it. I disagree with them and told them that would defeat the purpose of the system as the filter would still clog first thereby I would still have to change.

Does anyone else have any ideas on what to do. Its been this way for over the 20yrs I have been in the house and I can't understand why you cant place the system after the holding tank then put in the whole house filter.

I have to use 5 micron filters as anything else just lets the orange sediment through.

I had the pump raised as suggested by one outfit and that did not make any difference.

Fishpa, are you perchance in PA. That is where I am located also.

bill

Speedbump

Reaction score
Inline filters in my opinion are a waste of money.

You guys both need a real iron filter. If the company told you the inline filter needs to stay, that tells me they are probably sellling you a Kinetico. The only Softener I know of that requires a filter before the filter.

A greensand filter is what I recommend, other treatment people recommend other filters. They all work, it's just a matter of what works in your particular area. A water test is necessary before you buy anything. You have to know what you are dealing with in order to get the right product.

bob...

sha424

Reaction score
speedbump, yes the latest outfit wanted to put in a kinetico, but I had culligan and raindance out here also and they said the same thing about the prefilter. I had the water tested and its not hard, no need for a softener, just need a sediment type filter as per the lab tests. I will mention this greensand filter to the next outfit I have out(after I see what they suggest) and see what they say. Most of the outfits around here are pushing the softener as part of the system--that I do not want since I do not need as per the tests that was done. I wish I would of kept the lab tests, maybe I will have it done again and present this to another outfit that is in the area.

Thanks for the info and hopefully this will solve my problem and keep my wife happy(if I dont change the filter every 5-7 days it messes up the laundry and after a while it gets expensive always buying these filters)

bill

Speedbump

Reaction score
I would be leary of any company telling you their filter needs to have filtered water.

The water test is important in your case especially since you don't think you have any hardness.

What you must realize is there are a few (well a bunch) of filtration companies out there who hire silver tonged devils to sell water softeners. It doesn't really matter what your water needs, you need a water softener (or conditioner as some are called) to clean it up. And it will do everything. However the cost for such a unit is in the six figures. And when all the dust settles, the magic machine will only remove hardness.

This is not to say there are not a lot of good, honest filtration companies out there who want to help you fix your water problems and make an honest buck. Because they exist too. You must look a little harder, because their Yellow Page ads will be a bit smaller than one full page. Ask your friends and neighbors who sold them their equipment and were they happy with the product and price.

bob...

fishpa

Reaction score
orange filters answers

Thanks guys...you've saved me a lot of work. I will do as you suggest and get the water tested and consider the budget for a culligan system...they seem to be the most popular here.
Yes Bill, I live in Venango County PA.
Bob

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you are a little handy, and don't mind "going your own way", there are less expensive and as good or better systems than what Culligan sells. Their big selling point is that they can provide you with continuous hand-holding.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Some of them (Culligan, for one) offer rental systems here, for under $10/month. Seems like a bargain.

fishpa

Reaction score
Rental

Rental Systems?? Now at that price it seems like the way to go. Hopefully this friday I will have time during my wood stove shopping to contact at least one local company.
Bob

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks