Options for Shallow Sink Over Dishwasher

Users who are viewing this thread

Homza

Tile Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.higherstandardtile.com
Aloha. I am tile contractor base in Hawaii. I am regular on the John Bridge tile forum.

I typically do not do granite countertop installation but a previous client needed a (what I thought would be) relatively simple granite countertop in the vacation rental condo.

Here is the situation. The dishwasher is under the right side of the double sink. It is one of the special washers that fit under a sink.

I removed the existing laminate countertops and the old sink and took them to the dump yesterday. It was a shallow sink. (maybe 5" deep)

We installed a Franke top mount double stainless steel sink depth 6". The new granite countertop is higher than the old laminate countertops. But after the drain is installed (a shallow one) the dishwasher does not fit.

I have already cut the hole in the granite for this sink. I do not have the item number but a typical top mount 33" x 22" x 6". I need to find a reasonably priced sink that fits in the existing hole but the right side is shallower (maybe 4") while the left side (not over dishwasher) is deeper.

Or if the drain on the right sink was offset by 2" or so towards the back wall the 6" depth would work.

Any solutions that I am not thinking of. Any good sources I can search where I can find a sink that fits in the existing opening and over the dishwasher?

Thanks!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That Dayton model from elkay is about as good as it will get for your situation. You may still need an offset drain, and those are available also. You may be hard pressed to find anyone stocking any of these items, so you will have to order them in.

Not your fault here....but as a word of caution for readers planning future remodels....you have to PLAN! Details like what sink will fit what countertop, what faucet will work, how about that under counter DW........all these little details will bite you in the butt. When you put off selection of sinks, faucets,etc 'til the day the granite guy show up to put on the counter, and you think a quick trip to HD will get you what you need.............what it gets you is a panic post on your favorite forum! And a bunch of us telling us you're screwed!!!!!!!!

Plan Ahead

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It has been a long time since I saw one of those, but typically it was a GE dishwasher and they made the sink especially so the sink and drain fit the recesses on the dishwasher.

Homza

Tile Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.higherstandardtile.com
jimbo said:
Not your fault here....but as a word of caution for readers planning future remodels....you have to PLAN!

The owner provided the sink and the faucet. She was trying to find a 5" sink ,but I told her a 6" would work. I assumed it would work because the new countertop would be almost 1" higher. But I didn't do the research so it is my fault. Definitely a lesson learned.

I went back to look at the installation today. The key is that the drain needs to be offset to the back of the sink. The 6" depth is not the problem.

Thanks to all for the help.

I found the dishwasher instructions today (should have looked earlier!)- They had a list of sinks that work- This is one, looks similar to the Dayton.
As HJ said it is a GE dishwasher and they provide 3 sink options that work.

http://www.appliancesconnection.com/i91633-ge-gpf97.html

The Dayton sink should work with the dishwasher but the hole in my granite is for a 33" x 21 7/8" sink. The Dayton is 33" x 21 1/4". I cut my granite really tight but 21 1/4 might not make it.

I found this ada sink from Franke that is that will fit the opening perfectly and the drain offset appears to be enough. It is a cheap sink but the original sink was only $50 from Lowes.

http://www.needplumbingsupplies.com/Kindred/Specs/pds603_pds604.pdf

But that particular supplier does not ship to Hawaii. Their words- "we only ship to the United States"
Last time I checked we are part of the USA.
I'll call them on Monday and see if they can make an exception or find another supplier.

Thanks again. Next time I come here first before promising a client their sink will fit.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
quote: But that particular supplier does not ship to Hawaii. Their words- "we only ship to the United States"

That is really sad. Any decent supplier would be aware of the UPS Pineapple Express service. Regular freight delivery service to Hawaii. Short lead times, reasonable rates. They are missing out on a chunk of business by not using it!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Pineapple express? When I do a UPS search for a 10 pound item to Oahu, it comes up with $56.44 for the least amount.

In Hawaii, I can buy from the same supplier as in Seattle, however the discounts are considerably different. I pay more.
They have branches on the big island (Kona), Oahu and others.
If I buy in Alaska from the same supplier, even though it goes up on a barge to Anchorage, it's the same amount as in Seattle. I just sold five Ultramax II's in Anchorage on Friday.

In Michner's book Hawaii, it goes over the history of Hawaii becoming a state. It also goes over the business decisions that made it harder for outside ownership of businesses and how they worked to keep it isolated financially from the other 48 states to prevent competition. That is one of the reasons you don't see as many big chains there as in the other 48.

My sister in-laws family moved from Japan to the big island to work on the pineapple plantations.

I remember trying to move money in my accounts while on vacation in Hawaii, and having a horrible time finding a bank that wired up with mine in Seattle. I spent a good part of a day trying. I also managed one year to "pull" $500.00 out of an ATM in Mexico while I was in Honolulu. That was really strange. I always wondered who wrote down my Amex number from the card while I was there and phoned it in to an accomplice in Mexico. It could have been a restaurant, a sailing trip or someone using a scanner while I was talking on a cell phone making a reservation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks