Optimal Flange Height for Toto Unifit

Users who are viewing this thread

Glnow

Reaction score
Hi,

I apologize in advance because I know this answer has been given in other threads, but what is the "sweet spot" closet flange height, relative to the finished floor, for the Unifit? Top of the flange even with the floor, bottom of the flange even with the floor, top of the flange 1/4" above the floor, etc?

Thanks,
Greg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
ALL flanges should be on top of the finished floor and anchored to the sub floor (exception would be a flange leaded into cast iron on a concrete floor.)

Glnow

Reaction score
How far on top?

1/8" 1/4" (measured from top of flange to top of floor)? I'd like to avoid having too much bend in the unfit when it's bolted down at the flange and then at the rear, i.e. if the flange it too high.

Or is the bottom of the flange just supposed sit directly (contact) the floor tile surface underneath (which it is screwed into, of course :eek:)

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Flanges are designed to sit on TOP of the finished floor, and be anchored through them into the subflooring. There should be NO space underneath them, as they should be sitting on the finished floor. Now, there are lots of flanges that aren't installed where they should be, and if aproached with any intelligence, can be made leakproof, but if doing it, you might as well do it right.

The UniFit actually has a fairly tall cavity, and can handle a slightly tall flange, but a standard wax ring on a properly installed flange is all it normally takes. Flanges range from about 1/4" to maybe just under 1/2" (on some CI ones). A toilet should allow any approved flange to fit if it is installed properly.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What part of "on top of the finished floor was unclear? If I was supposed to be 1/4 above the floor, that's what I would have said. "ON" means ON, not above or under.

Glnow

Reaction score
Yes, I mis-understood. I apologize.

Jim, thank you for the extra info on the Unifit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks