Opinions wanted on using Softener/iron filter combos

Users who are viewing this thread

Robert Berg

Reaction score
I posted almost a year ago about my early 90's Culligan softener and water conditioner. I was able to get them going for a while, but now the conditioner seems to be taking a dive. It blows though a gallon of hydrogen peroxide in a matter of days (possibly in one rinse) and although we have some iron issues, the sulfur smell is a problem as well. I have purchased a new 5.5 gallon pressure tank and a CSV1A, and they are waiting to be installed. I would like to do the whole shebang at once, if possible. Which leads me to my question....

I have been looking into, the combo softener and iron filter all-in-ones. Does anyone have any opinions they'd like to share on these types of units? The ones I have seen mostly have the Fleck 5600SXT, but they provide little info on how they differ from ordinary water softeners.

Magnesium, total 47.3 mg/L
Potassium, total 1.8 mg/L

Iron, total 0.5 mg/L
Sodium, total 23.3 mg/L
Strontium, total 3.2 mg/L
Sulfur, total, by ICP 93.2 mg/L
Fluoride 0.61 mg/L
Hardness (gpg) 29.4 grains/gallon
PH 7.8 S.U.
Silica 23.5 mg/L
Tot. diss. solids, estimated 645 mg/L

3 full bathroom house with 3 adults

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Most all in one units have several problems. They may work but sacrifices have to be made. There are a few simple designs that make a good effort to do "all in one" but regardless... it is a difficult design to master.
Your pH is a bit high to rely on softening, the iron is likely to foul the resin but... time will tell.

If your budget and space allows, a properly designed system will work much better for you. A simple H202 injection with a small contact tank and a KL unit then a softener... this would be the ideal solution.

Beth W.

Reaction score
Hi Robert, I'm adding a question related to what was said here on your thread. Hope you don't mind. (I tried to start a new thread for my question but kept messing up going back and forth between pages, then couldn't find to the thread I started.)

Dittohead wrote above, "A simple H202 injection with a small contact tank and a KL unit then a softener... this would be the ideal solution." Which is similar to what was recommended to me (actually to my sister in NYS) by her water treatment company. (Many helpful suggestions and explanations from Dittohead, thank you). An 80 gallon retention tank was part of her recommended system, not a small contact tank.

Robert's water results are worse but he only needs a small contact tank? Why would my sister need an 80 gallon retention tank? 24"x82" That's tall! (Is it too big to be called a contact tank?)

Robert's listed first, mg/L
Hardness 29.4 vs 9.7
Iron .5 vs .38
Sulfur 93.2 vs 5.4
Silica 23.5 vs 11.9
Total dissolved solids 645 vs 290
Manganese ? vs 0.189 (high?)
pH same 7.8

What's up with the tank sizing?
Will my sister waste water by running lots of cold water until it turns hot?

ditttohead

Reaction score
A retention/contact tank is simply a way to slow water down prior entering the water treatment equipment. Larger tanks are more common but often overkill. They cost marginally more and in all reality, the bigger the better. There is no real disadvantage to a larger contact tank other than cost/space. When chemical injection is used, h2o2 and chlorine will react with iron and manganese fairly quickly and almost instantly with h2S. The KL media is also highly reactive with iron/manganese, h2s.

The contact tank has nothing to do with the hot water.

Larger or baffled tanks are important for floccing, higher levels of iron..., or for bacterial control where code requirements dictate specific contact time with the oxidizer/water to meet compliance.

Beth W.

Reaction score
Thank you for addressing my concerns! From the information you shared it looks as if my sister, with her well water test results and H2O2 injection plus the KL filter, doesn't NEED an 80 gallon retention tank. And if there are no issues with space or cost then if would be fine, and good, to install one that size.

Not hot water related-got myself mixed up with that one! Nice you stay cool and calm with so many newbie questions. Take care.
And thanks, Robert, for the use of your thread:)

ditttohead

Reaction score
I enjoy helping, thanks for asking questions. You are exactly correct, contact tanks are usually oversized but this is a good thing. Undersized contact tanks are a real problem and very costly. The cost of larger contact tanks is not that much more and it helps ensure a successful water quality improvement program for the homeowner.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks