Opinions on what to do with house with low voltage lighting setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Ctreefer

Reaction score
We bought a split level brick ranch about 3 years ago and one of the interesting aspects of it is this GE low voltage lighting system. There has evidently been some modifications to it over the years but most of the relays/switches still function. There's a relay box in the attic and 2 full control knobs in the house (master bedroom and front entry) that control all the switches on that system (9). About6 of the 9 switches still work with specific lights in the house. 3 of them have been disabled and switched over to regular 110 voltage direct to the light.

My question is: should I leave it or try and move to all 110 volt system? Some of the lines controlled are in areas with no access so I would need to snake through joists in plaster walls. It would be quite the project by myself and even our electrician that had done some work on the house for the previous owners has commented he's not too excited about working on redoing that system if I farm it out.

At first I wanted to get rid of it but now I wonder if its necessary and there's also a bit of a plus being able to control multiple lights in the house (exterior and garage as well) from the bedroom.

If I should keep it, any ideas on some nice replacement switches and cover plates? The ones are original and yellowish.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The low voltage lighting was convenient because you can control the lights from multiple locations without using 3 and 4 way switches. With all the things going on these days, you should be able to find "momentary contact rocker switches". But you have to know whether you need single throw "push on/push off", or double throw "push top on/push bottom off" to get the correct ones.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
I can't remember the name of the system but I know what you are talking about. I have worked on them. There are still parts available
The system works well. It is flexible and reliable. I would keep it.

kenwalkerconst

Reaction score
These sound like GE RR7 relays. Latching relays that us a LV momentary contact switch to control them. 24 Volts control if I remember right but the relays are full 20A 120V capable. Any MOMENTARY switch could be use but you will need both on / off contacts.

http://www.kyledesigns.com/product/...c-Low-Voltage-Wall-Switch-Plates-Devices.html

Same company Big2bird recomended but the Serria switches are the ones I've seen used with the RR-7's around here, up to 3 per single gange box and I think they are the same people that made a 12(?) position rotary switch. The RR-7's coils would "burn out" from time to time. Time to time being a bunch of years but I've have seen a lighting strike take out 3 out of about 24 installed once.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks