Opinions on ADA Height Toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

Barney1

Reaction score
I’m thinking about purchasing a Cadet 3 Right Height which is 1.5 inches higher than a normal toilet height. What are your takes on these? Are they more comfortable and do they look right in a small bathroom with the extra height?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Just go to a public restroom and try out the handicap toilet. Most of us find the added height very comfortable. I do not have one at home, but if I ever replace the toilet, it would be ADA. I do have grab bars and hand holds installed around the toilet and tub. You do not have to be officially handicapped to find those helpful on an aging back and knees!

Barney1

Reaction score
Terry,

Do you find the people that buy them are older and actually need them or just people in general that actually think they are much more comfortable with the extra 1.5�

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I find it both ways.
I find some tall people like standard height, and some short people like tall.

Everyone that has had knee surgery likes the taller bowls.
If you go into the handicap stalls, you can easily get an idea for what it will be like.

Generally, taller people like the taller bowls.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Terry, i want to know too. If they are so comfortable, why haven't companies been making them? Someone long ago in the last hundred years could have realized that low toilets weren't as good as high toilets, and started making them. A long time ago.

Now they call them ADA height toilets as if they are made for people with problems. I don't like that. When I installed a wall hung toilet at a high height, lots of people around me didn't like the fact that I was doing something that "I thought" would be good while on the other hand I had no reference to refer to to prove to them that people actually can get used to it easily and then end up liking it higher. It was a tense time. My wife didn't sleep well at night; in the end we spent more on therapy than the cost of the toilet. I just wish I'd had a few internet resources to go to to show her and others that it was a normal thing, or that it could become normal if people would just let it be "The new Norm". At some point in this century it might become the norm, since people are generally taller than they were a century ago, and besides, industry needs "new" things to sell so that the previous generation of products can be looked down at with scorn. This puts both buyer and seller in a win-win situation. The new thing is solving a new perceived problem.

David
p.s. i know one guy who likes a low height, like a hole in the ground, so he puts his feet up on the rim. No seat. He learned this in Asia. Maybe that'll be the next big thing. :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's not uncommon to find toilets like that in the Middle East as well - i.e., a hole you squat over. No toilet paper, either - a hose to clean things off.

fcatwo

Reaction score
I've always assumed toilets were low so the whole family, including most children, could use them.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I have read that the typical western 14" bowl puts your system ( that is YOUR inside mechanisms!) in an un-natural alignment, and is not conducive to healthy .......whatever. I still prefer to sit, rather than squat!

enriquehobart

Plumber
Reaction score
Too high:

I've been there done that...wierd but, got the job done.

Too short:

For a long period of time this is guaranteed to put the legs to sleep and seems to be accompanied by back problems.

Foot prints on lids:

We were at a site when I was a mason's apprentice. We were all called out to a meeting. The man in charge stated that we were all men and were expected to put our butts on the lid...not our feet. This high octane testoserone overdosed jerk actually looked at me briefly while stating this...It was that guy from Asia!:D

Holes in the ground in the middle east:

Maybe instead of soldiers we should send people in private companies to install toilets. Perhaps some of the middle eastern folks would be a little less sh--ty about things.

If the people in the private defense firms were doing THAT KIND of work they would be EARNING their money.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks