Opinion on expansion tank installation. Picture included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
The best part is the glued in valve butted to the wall that cost $1.98 from Indonesia.

And those should be banned.

I got a video for that too. lol

I replace a lot of thermal expansion tanks in homes, but it's because I know they need to be replaced when they are bad. Doing one sunday... it's full of black water.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
That makes me wonder....

And those should be banned.

I got a video for that too. lol

I replace a lot of thermal expansion tanks in homes, but it's because I know they need to be replaced when they are bad. Doing one sunday... it's full of black water.

So Dunbar....how much do you charge to change one out??

this makes me wonder...once the tank has gone bad and the water has leached across the bladder,,,and turned all rusty and black if that is considered contaminated water now...???

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No more than when the WH lining is compromised and it is rusty....

The key to anything is maintenance. If the expansion tank fails, assuming you have a closed system, the T&P is likely to weep. If you have anything on the ball, that should be a clue something needs to be done. Hopefully, you don't continue to drive your car when the pads are metal-to-metal on the rotors, or the tires are bald, or your exhaust has leaks...anything mechanical needs periodic checking and maintenance.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, seems most folks have forgotten that mechanical things break down.

I think it is because cars overall are so much more reliable than they were in the 70s and 80s. Even oil consumption has dramatically gone down with better metallurgy and fuel injection.

When I was growing up, you really needed to check your oil at least once a month or more, and it was extremely common for a car to need a quart or two to top-off between oil changes.

When was the last time you had to add oil to your modern car?

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
What does that mean?
I have no idea.
When I talk to an inspector, it's just to show him the job, the permit, and get it signed real quick so we can both go on to our next meeting. Maybe a compliment from the inspector, which is always nice.
It is pretty nice looking work.

It just means that if you argue with an inspector, you get correction tags and maybe red tags for stuff he spent hours to discover.

The inspector is the queen, and if that queen does not like your attitude, you get screwed.

Thank god no queens here in the forum so we can argue a bit.

Well, on edit I forgot we have a king.... so have to be a bit careful after all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks