Opinion on expansion tank installation. Picture included.

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by John Vega, May 23, 2011.

1. And those should be banned.

I got a video for that too. lol

I replace a lot of thermal expansion tanks in homes, but it's because I know they need to be replaced when they are bad. Doing one sunday... it's full of black water.
  2. that makes me wonder....

So Dunbar....how much do you charge to change one out??

this makes me wonder...once the tank has gone bad and the water has leached across the bladder,,,and turned all rusty and black if that is considered contaminated water now...???
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

No more than when the WH lining is compromised and it is rusty....

The key to anything is maintenance. If the expansion tank fails, assuming you have a closed system, the T&P is likely to weep. If you have anything on the ball, that should be a clue something needs to be done. Hopefully, you don't continue to drive your car when the pads are metal-to-metal on the rotors, or the tires are bald, or your exhaust has leaks...anything mechanical needs periodic checking and maintenance.
  4. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

Unfortunately, seems most folks have forgotten that mechanical things break down.

I think it is because cars overall are so much more reliable than they were in the 70s and 80s. Even oil consumption has dramatically gone down with better metallurgy and fuel injection.

When I was growing up, you really needed to check your oil at least once a month or more, and it was extremely common for a car to need a quart or two to top-off between oil changes.

When was the last time you had to add oil to your modern car?
  5. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

It just means that if you argue with an inspector, you get correction tags and maybe red tags for stuff he spent hours to discover.

And Obama talks nice and sweet to the queen and doesnt rock the boat. The inspector is the queen, and if that queen does not like your attitude, you get screwed.

Thank god no queens here in the forum so we can argue a bit.

Well, on edit I forgot we have a king.... so have to be a bit careful after all.
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

More like a custodian. Always cleaning up the messes that the kids leave during recess.